SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have discovered a small amount of water penetration on the inside of my C&C 27 Mk III. Good news is that I believe I have discovered the source: starboard side dripping from 3-4 of the bolts of the toe rail. After a major rainstorm, there is a small, but not overly large amount of water. Any suggestions on how to remedy this. I am thinking of some sort of waterproof sealant on the outside, around the bolts and edges of the toe rail.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tighten bolts: will do.

Any experiences with Captain Tolleys? Seems like a reasonable quick fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Tighten bolts: will do.

Any experiences with Captain Tolleys? Seems like a reasonable quick fix.
Yes I have. I would not recommend anything I have not used. Works great!.

The OP did not say if he has a wood toe rail? Tightening bolts may not be an option like on my boat.
 

·
Remember you're a womble
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Tweak the bolts 1/4 to 1/2 a turn to reseal the butyl. Two person job, one with a screwdriver up top and one with a socket below. Did this all around on my 24 and stopped almost all of the leaks in about an hour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,917 Posts
One issue to keep in mind is possible penetration into the deck core. With a toerail it's possible the deck is solid glass at that point. But if it's not and leaking inside, that means water is getting into the deck core.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,685 Posts
I actually had to remove all 135 screws from my toe rail, put silicone seal in each of the screw holes, and a dab on each screw to stop the leakage. I still have 8 bolts to seal, and I believe that will solve the final leaks over the quarter berth. Also, had some leaks from the lifeline stanchion bolts. Youngsters working at the marina where I gas up tend to grab the stanchion to try and stop a 15,000 boat pulling into the dock - IDIOTS! They actually broke one of the stanchions off a the base last year.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:
 

·
no longer reading SailNet
Joined
·
2,309 Posts
Sabre and C&C owners are lucky that the original hull to deck joint was sealed with butyl at the factory. Most boats used some other sealant that breaks down over 30ish years and you need to do a little bigger job at cleaning out the hull-deck joint and applying a replacement sealant to stop the leaks.

Pearson at least made it easy for me by putting the bolts all external to the rail. I spent Tuesday morning on a very scenic dock pulling apart the port aft quarter portion and rebedding it to stop a leak over the quarterberth. It took about two hours to remove the toerail and the hull/deck joint bolts (5/16" bolts on 6" centers) for the rear half of the port side and fix it all up.

Most boats don't run core all the way to the edge of the deck, but it is something to check.

We just finished about 30 hours of steady rain and the leak is fixed. I did find a new one (not the hull deck joint) to chase away another time.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top