SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's high time I installed a drip pan under this stubborn engine of mine - not so much to catch anything leaking out of it, but to catch the stuff I spill all over it when checking levels and topping up. :eek:

As is typical, it's resting on parallel timber bearers running fore-and-aft and, as usual, access is a bit tight and I have no plans to lift the engine anytime soon even if that would make the task far easier!!

Fabricating something from lead sheet might be the easiest solution I suppose, but would also be the heaviest. Copper sheet would be nice and thin, but not too flexy and possibly a right PITA to get under and around the sump in the inch or less space I have between the sump and the floors..

What's the best material to use? Has anyone done this before or know of some kind of fairly thin flexy hydro-carbon resistant plastic sheeting that can be bent into tight corners that I could use for this?

Thanks,
Cameron

·
Registered
830 Posts
Cameron.
I use a pair of toss-away aluminum roasting /cake pans.. Just measure for fit and head to the grocery store :D..Allow for fit at entry...I had ta usettwo,duct taped together to get the rig to flex enuff to pass bulkhead/engine intersect..The one to the stern got modified by. flattening the sides a bit.
Any water from theshaft seal passes under and drips,oopsies gain the pan to be sopped up..

Best,
Paul

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Paul - I'll give it a try! Absolutely no idea why I didn't think of that... :)

I've got an ordinary steel baking tray in there now that goes part of the way, but it's not really very useful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts