SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be leaving the country at the end of 2009 to start on my cruising adventure. My California drivers license is set to expire in February of 2010.

Does anyone have any information on how this might affect me, having an expired license? I will have a passport. I don't plan on needing to drive a car, but it is always a form of ID that I have had, so it just seems weird to be without it.

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Check with your state DMV, I renewed my Pa license four months early for the same reason. They may let you renew early.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would think you'd be fine with using your passport as primary ID, and just getting a new license when (if?) you come back.

But if you can get it renewed early, it might be worth it for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of renewing early. I just love going to California DMV's. Most understaffed government office...and not enough of them. Always crowded. Oh, well, one less thing on my to do list.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Renew by mail??

·
Registered
249 Posts
As a former CA resident, I believe I renewed as early as 6 months before expiration. Sometimes you get the new one by mail anyway. Also, your driver license is pretty useless as an ID overseas, anyway. It's your passport that's key. So if you're thinking of using your license as a secondary ID, it won't matter much if it's expired or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts