SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am getting there!

First I had to go through the usual PITA stuff with registration - took three trips to the RMV to register the trailer....there was one typing error on the cert. of origin which screwed up the whole deal.

Now I am making sure I know how to rig it before I take it to the water. Raising the mast was a chore for one person...it will be easier next time. With two people it will be very simple as I can eliminate the rope line I use to pull it up and just use the forestay.

I also came up with an easy solution to mounting a windex - just made a ss bracket and used ss rivets to attach it to the masthead casting. It should hold up better than the plastic bracket which windex sells as a option - because the unit is through bolted with my bracket, but just tightened with a set screw against the shaft with theirs.

So, I sat up on the boat, had a beer, figured out some knots and the main sheet blocks, etc. - too windy to put up the sails yet.

The dog was also put on board and then enjoyed a couple licks afterward.

Next comes bottom painting, which I am going to do myself where she sits.

So, what have I learned so far? Mostly that raising a mast is something which a person should be VERY familiar with doing before attempting to do solo....or even with help! The little tricks, like taping the turnbuckles on the shrouds to make sure they don't get stuck in a horizontal position, are important. It is also important to never put yourself in a position where you can have nowhere to go..... i.e. cannot let go or else face danger, etc.

It's trickier than I thought - the first time. The mast definitely would want to swing off to the side if not properly supported.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops....don't know what happened to attachments.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
congrats on the first time mast up. now do it 3 more times, then 2 more in the dark working by headlamp. then you should be good to go

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
It was always a matter of pride in our family to raise the mast in the front yard whenever we got a boat so that we could show off to our neighbors!

David

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my case, the neighbors are probably thinking "I hope he doesn't keep that dang thing there too long"...although one came over and told me he was on the sailing team at Yale!

I guess when one has really "arrived" the boat can't fit in the driveway any longer.....so no showoff.

The amazing thing was that I actually know 90% of the terms in the manual. It reminds me of when I learned about computers and the web (programming) - I used to open a magazine and only understand a very few words. Of course, now I understand virtually any "geek talk", even at the deepest level.

After a few years, I'll be able to speak "sail" too. Although I don't know if I can use that sailing accent.....like
bow-lin
instead of bow-line
and
mainsill
instead of
main sail.

I think I need more experience before I start with the proper pronunciations.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Nice!!

You'll have plenty of fun with her. Looks to be a good choice for your plans.

Is she brand new?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Sailing accent is easy. Just pronounce everything as if you were drunk.

Seriously.

Oh, and by the way, Beautiful Boat!..

David

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Cute boat.

Spouse wants the dog, a KC Cavalier? altho she will shoot you for letting it drink the beer!LOL

Enjoy her, little boats like that can be fun. Spent many hours with my step dad on the 21 TS we had growing up, in between sailing the 8' pram I had sailing on Lake Washington.

Marty

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better not show this one to your wife!

Yep. Cavaliers

Yeah, I think the boat is perfect size for me. I can moor it 1/4 mile from my house and the intention is to day sail in the Sakonnet - which is 1.5 miles wide by about 8 miles long. I won't be staying on the boat, etc.....and the strait really never has high seas....

The Subaru can tow it no problem - which is nice for launching and storing, etc.

And, I got the deal of the century. If I didn't, I would have probably bought a used 19-24.....

Attachments

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Pattisphotos' photosets on Flickr

We are shooting for pretty boy, blen then smudge in the patches x justin set, Pretty girl is spoken for, if not by the breeder then a couple one behind us in the list, or one of the blens in the lindy x justin set. We are #3 on the list, behind breeder #1, and someone else, that wants a female blen IIRc, so that would be the female in the LJ set. We are being less picky than most on what one we get. This is the last 2 ltters for this breeder, then she is retiring after 30 yrs of doing this. Some friends of our have puppies from her. She would probably keep going, but has MS, so that is beginning to slow her down a lot.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For those who don't know, you just can't "buy" a Cavalier King Charles. It's like adoption. They will interview you, meet with you....and if they approve, you can get in line for a puppy. Then they decide which one you get (in many cases)......

Ours is definitely a sweet thing. She does absolutely nothing wrong, which is rare for a dog.

Our last one got hit by a car.....one of the downsides of KC. Never let 'em off the leash for even a second. We didn't.....he just ran outside when a screen door was opened and that was the end......

Well, we are about to see if they like sailing....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Opps. I keep forgetting the pics...this is the Blen, Buster, RIP

Attachments

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Craig,

I have not heard of too many that do not like being on a boat. One we know of does not like to swim, but luvs the boat! Granted a stinkpot, but luvs being on the boat!

I take it you only have one of the two in the last pic? or was the one hit by the car a different one yet?

Yes, I think getting a KCC is Worst than adopting a human in some cases!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The blem puppy was the one hit by the car.
The lady in the double pic (tri-colors) is ours, the male is our daughters.....I'll let you guess who is who. It seems quite evident by their features (at least to me!).

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Boy on left, girl on right!

I personally like the blens, wife likes the tri's! oh well, maybe in the end, their will be both a tri an blen available. Not sure the three cats will like a dog around, but we'll see!

That blen you had is adorable! I sent the tri pics to wife, not sure if she has seen them as of yet!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too damn cute!
Congrats....
Now just teach him to sleep late!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts