1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you who have launched either the gail rider or the jordan drogue
what do you think is better.
eric

·
Registered
355 Posts
Eric,both items you mentioned are drogues & are towed behind the boat. A sea anchor is deployed from the bow,& is intended to stop the boat & hold the bow into the wind & seas.
Marc

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gershel,
what is your experience with them ?
which one do you own?
i left out the para anchor that is why the original post was confusing.
eric

·
Registered
355 Posts
Eric, I have a 15'' Paratech sea anchor on my 36'' catamaran. I''ve never had to use it,but I suppose I should practice with it. A very good reference on the subject is the book "Drag Device Data Base" by Victor Shane. He has many case histories documented & you may be able to determine what method is best for you.
Marc

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gershel,
i have read the dddb.
unfortunately i have had to use my jordan drogue and wanted to discuss this with other people who have used either a drogue or sea anchor.
thanks
anyway
eric

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i forgot to mention,
i think launching a sea anchor or drogue might be good practice, but they can be a hazard in anything but heavy weather.
eric

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe that it depends on the boat. some boats handle differntly depending on the underbody. I have tried a drogue and did not like it very much with my boat. I have now got a para anchor and have not had occasion to deploy it, but I think that my boat will answer better to it.
SV

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi,
what kind of conditions did you deploy the drogue?
what drogue was it?
what boat do you own??
thanks
eric

·
Registered
59 Posts
If I remember right the sea conditions were winds app.30-40, seas 20 period app. 6-7 sec.
Big bend of gulf coast shallow waters canget nasty in a norther.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts