SailNet Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
sailingdog said:
AFAIK, that is generally considered to be somewhat rude to do on the same forum... Posting on three different forums, like sailnet, sA and LSD is generally acceptable.
Thanks Sailingdog, all of this is somewhat new to me. I know two of the three you mentioned but who is “LSD”? Is it worth looking at?
All the best,
Robert Gainer

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
LSD is Live, sail, die...and they're an Aussie racing forum, specializing in dinghy racing mostly. :D

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thanks and it doesn’t sound like something of interest.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

·
Registered
262 Posts
Turnbuckles

Same thing almost happened to me. Single handing my 37 footer in winter on the Chesapeake Bay....tacking up wind withthe storm jib and single reef in 20 knot winds. Got back to the marina and the turnbuckle gives up because the threads are worn and the screw slides right out releasing the headstay. Close call. Replaced all the turnbuckles after that one....

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
I just missed being out during a dismasting. A boat I normally crewed on lost its rig during a race. I normally was the backstay man (running backsays), but I had a foot in a splint from an injury, so I raced in an S boat instead of moving around a open transomed boat with a bum foot. Fortunately no one was hurt, and they got a tow back to the yacht club, because the outboard wasn't normally kept in the boat to save weight.

Charlie

·
10,851 Posts
yotphix said:
Gee I've seen back swept spreaders before but...., those are a little extreme no?
Actually that mast had tubular modular adjusting spreaders (you could adjust back sweep from down in the deck) that were swept bak quite normally, the system had a rotating turnbuckle in the front attachment.

Mine are different, they are back/forward swept. The idea is to have more space it bring the clew of a baten genoa, because the "belly" is not measured in the rating, just the P, I J etc. So call it a loop hole:D :D

21 - 30 of 30 Posts