SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi world wanderers,
I have a custom wet exhaust attached to a yanmar 2qm20. There is a section of rigid stainless piping ~2ft which connects the manifold to the riser and point of raw water injection. It fractured 3 times after being remade in 6 months assumedly because of rust and vibration...
I thought i solved this by switching a section of rigid piping for a flexible stainless bellows. Which i just found to be rusted and cracked after a year.
I feel like the only option is to keep replacing the flexible section every year... Say it isn't so!!!
Any help greatly appreciated :)

· Registered
8 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so sooo much for all the advice!

RichH especially, i love a good bit of technical dialogue :)

So the initial exhaust that broke wasn't stainless, and not sure how long it lasted engine hours wise... Then the guy who remade it in brisbane made the new one from 316 which i did find out was a rookie mistake after the fact :(

I think all the advice rings true, i'm going to resolve to get an entirely new rigid exhaust made of black steel in the future when the injection elbow in the riser clogs up with corrosion as they do... Eventually
For the moment, i'm getting a guy to weld some flanges to each end of the section with the cracked bellows and supply a new bellows which can be easily bolted onto the flange and replaced with a spare for when it does fail again. Leaving that as the weakest link and inspect regularly because i know that will be the place of failure... Better the devil you know right?

And i will endeavour to run the engine until at working temperature, which i've definitely been guilty of not doing in the past!!!

Thanks again this forum is invaluable A+++

Heres to trouble free sailing ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.