SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
A mixing elbow made of iron plumbing bits is easy to make and replace. Should be good for 3 or 4 years and shows distress long before it fails. If you can go down off the manifold (injecting into) a piece of rubber hose onto a SS can, you got it made. Lots of talk on 'I hate boats' about this. You can buy big buck parts or make your own with a bit of ingenuity. Every body here has an opinion about this. Wagging a 2 'pipe doesn't sound like good engineering to me!
exactly stainless is brittle and a poor choice for exhaust systems in this environment, especially if it has been welded badly and or a lot.

black iron would be my choice and or simple plumbing pipe that can be replaced easily and cheaply

you can also wrap it to keep heat away and to a minimum inside, it will also improve flow a bit to exit gasses faster:)

edit I see all points have been made jajaja

however

this thread might be helpful as a visual or general reference
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diese...elbow-plumbing-universal-m12.html#post2360650

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
if using stainless go broke or just stick to tried and true

on a boat I wouldnt even consider stainless exhaust systems, money down the drain really

· Registered
Corsair 24
4,590 Posts
Reaction score
that guy could of done less worse jajaja if using another grade of stainless that is less brittle especially when welding

even 304 or 306 would of faired better if you insisted on s.s

all points being made next time youll find saving money initially will last you longer

a rare case in the boating world! jajaja

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.