SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to be able to hook my little 5w solar panel AND my 60w outboard motor up to a single charge controller. Does such an animal exist?

Doesn't have to be anything fancy, it's just one little ol' 12v group 24 battery.

·
Noah's Bosun
236 Posts
5 watt solar panel doesn't need controller... usually used for continuous "trickle charge".
Outboard 60W "light coil" actual output will be closer to 2 or 3 amps at mid to upper throttle range. If it is equipped with electric start than it already has a rectifier/regulator installed. If no electric start, check to make sure you have a regulator/rectifier installed.
(Typical)

The actual light coil under the flywheel (permanent magnet alternator) generates AC which is ok to run lights directly, but if you have a battery in the mix, then it needs to be "rectified" to DC and regulated to avoid overcharging.

Short answer, just hookem up to the battery.

Long answer (only my opinion), each power source (wind, solar, engine driven, shore-powered, tafrail, etc) should have its own dedicated equipment for controlling output to the batteries rather than attempting a "one size fits all solution" An engine driven, field controlled alternator requires a different type of output control than a 250W solar array, or a 25W shore powered charger. Plus, with separate control equipment, one failure does not the whole system crash. If redundancy is good enough for rocket-surgery, it's good enough for me...

Just sayin'

·
Registered
140 Posts
Using a solar panel controller on your outboard charging system will ruin it. The outboard charging system cannot be switched on and off without damage. A controller is constantly switching on and off when the batteries are fully charged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
what is the logic for saying a five watt solar does not need a controller? I have a 5 w and a 1.5 w. the 5w panel charges a battery that just has a bilge pump connected. the 1.5 panel charges a battery that has nothing connected. At max current of .4 and .125 amp I think the panels will nicely keep the batteries charged considering there is a daily discharge. I'm meeting people that say you should have a controller. I'm confused.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts