SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

What's the best way to remove duct tape "Glue" residue from gelcoat and/or aluminum.

La Bestia

·
Registered
201 Posts
A couple of ways. Goo-gone or ice.

In the past I've placed bags of ice on the reluctant adhesive, let it sit for a while then use a sharp single edged razor blade to gently scrape off the big chunks.

I've used Goo-Gone, acetone, and alcohol to dissolve the remaining glue.

If the residue is in the non-skid, I don't have any good suggestions.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Small amounts of acetone on a rag, then rinsed immediately.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The nice thing about Goo Gone is that is doesn't evaporate quickly like acetone so you have more working time. It's also easier on the gelcoat. I had the glue-in-the-non-skid problem and Goo Gone, a stiff brush (plastic bristles) and some scrubbing got it all out. WD-40 and all similar products work pretty well too.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Goof Off and a terry towel, turn often.

·
Live to Sail
31 Posts
WD-40 and a rag works as good as anything and is not as nasty as most harsh cleaners. Wash with Dawn dish soap afterwards to remove WD-40 then rinse with fresh water.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
The glue is basically rubber cement, and the solvent for that is naphtha, similar to benzene. Higher fraction solvents (like acetone) may be overkill since any kind of oil eventually softens it up. Mayonaise and peanut butter are recommended because they'll stick long enough to let the oil absorb and soften the residue up, then wipe clean without harming the fiberglass or paint.

The specialty products like 3M's adhesive remover and goo-gone are great, a bit pricey but they work fast and clean if you want to run out and buy them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wd 40

WD 40 will remove it as good as anything, and not some more stuff to buy and have no farther use for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts