SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The photo below shows the two banjo fittings on the oil cooler of my 4JH3E Yanmar. I had a break in the metal hose connector for the cooling water yesterday and I'm removing and replacing the cooler.

I'd appreciate any experinced advise about the banjo fittings,- compression washers, torque, techniques, etc. Thanks, take care and joy, Aythya crew

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,242 Posts
I am no engine expert and I'm not positive about your yanmar or oil cooler banjo bolts, but unless there is a recessed ring in the bolt, I believe the holes need to match up. I have been advised by many to snug the bolt tight enough so there is no leaking but not over tight and possibly strip the bolt, none have said to torque to a specific amount (found this out on my own fuel return banjo bolts :) ).

·
Registered
311 Posts
You should wait for a qualified mechanic to respond - but absent that, consider this from a back-yard one: I distorted and ruined a banjo bolt by over torquing. They are delicate due to the bore through the center and the holes in the sides of the shaft. Since ham-handing one, I don't put more than about 10 ft-lbs, which is about what a small crescent wrench can due in my right hand without really putting any mmmph into it.

See - not a professional assessment, but something to go by anyway in case you're in a pinch.

Good luck.

·
Handsome devil
3,477 Posts
I agree with around 10 lbs...be aware there are one time use crush washers associated with banjo bolts...new ones should be used every time.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'job's done & we're off cruising again! These banjos required a 27mm socket. There's always tools needed that I don't have. Thanks for the advice,-take care and joy, aythya crew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts