SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear sailnet community, I was interested in your views on the new Dufour 36 e.
i am very close to making a decision on either the 36 e or First 35.

Vital stats that I have gathered to date on the 36 e to best of my knowledge

LOA 10.99m
LWL 10.21m
Draft 2.2m
Beam 3.61m
Displ 6,400 kg
Keel weight 1900
Ballast Ratio 30%
AVS 130
GZ max0.65 at 56'
STIX 38.6
Design Cat A
Capsize Ratio 1.95
LWL / Beam 2.85
Sail Area / Displ 21

If the numbers I have are correct this boat looks like it could be reasonably competetive with the First 35, Salona 35 and X-35...although each of these boats have higher Sail Area/ Displacement and are lighter than the 36e.

The deck layout on the 34e looks a little compromised in terms of mainsheet winch positions and also finding a position to mount instruments also appears to be challenging.

Any views woul be welcome.

Andrew

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Andrew,

Most folks on this site seem to like what I would call "Old shoes" with that........

Along with not sure there are too many of ANY of the boats you have brought up here in North America where most posters preside.....so........

If it were me, a 1st 35, as there is a dealer in town. Then a DuFour, also a dealer in town, Salona and X-Yachts, not positive that there is "ONE" dealer in ALL of NA! Kind of rules out those boats frankly!

The dufour would probably be on the bottom of the list unless I could get a screaming deal between the 36e and 1st35. There is a 34e with a shoal draft......do not ask me why, but yes a shoal draft RACE-cruise style boat! I can many times beat it boat for boat with a much older boat! smaller too! Then again, the fellow that owns it, uses it in a local school for race teaching/schooling/practice, so it probably has a new'ish/different crew ea time it is out. Upon occasion it does get up and move. But heavy wind days......I've seen it go haywire more than once! I do like the like of that boat, other than it seems a bit slow, rating has been really tweaked from original.....ie probably now have a gift rating!

BUT, in my case, at the end of the day, wife would also have to have a voice......my vote might get out voted 1.8-.2!

Marty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Marty

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post, I really appreciate it!

The Sydney race scene out of the CYCA is getting pretty competitive these days home to a number of inshore and offshore events including of course the Syd - Hobart we are seeing a trend towards light displacement 36 to 40 boats that maxmise IRC rating.

The Beneteau First 40 has been particularly successful in this part of the world in terms of race results but like you my wife has a large say in the boat we will choose and to her the Dufour looks the better layout & quality in terms of interior design and finish.

As with any decision there are trade offs to be balanced - part of the fun in choosing a brand new boat I guess..

Sail well & true.

Kind regards

Andrew

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Andrew,

If you have not posted on Sailing Anarchy, you might try there for a better comparison. A few more racers over that way. Altho watch out for some folks, it is a bit of a anything can go wording etc. you may get the normal newbie welcome ie"show us your wifes, gf's sister ta-ta's" pics do show up that are NSFW or not safe for work! But once thru this baloney, info is pretty good. Altho many of the posters seem to prefer more true sport/race boat styling. IE stuff the spouse does not want!

paulo who is running the interesting boat thread above, if you can get a response from him, he seems to have the best handle on some of the European built boats that you mentioned. Altho from my angle, the "Sydney" brand boat built in Oz look good. altho may not have the spouse interior down well. IIR the 1D 36-38' boat I am thinking of, has a Cruise option that adds about 1000-1500 lbs to the base wt. Probably a bit slower, but if SWMBO likes it! I believe I will like said boat just fine too!

Good luck, watch out for fuzzy wombats on Sydney harbor on malo's! Kinda scary creatures..............come to think of it, the one I would stay away from is named Andrew too! but not you!

Marty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts