SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5,678 Posts
Reaction score
I have been interested in installing a Dutchman system for my sailboat. Do you have any suggestions that might help me minimize silly mistakes?

Thanks

David Wild
Hi David, Are you asking about the mainsail flaking system (akin to lazy jacks), or one of the other Dutchman products?

· Registered
5,678 Posts
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I have had both Harken Lazy Jacks and the Dutchman Mainsail flaking system. Dutchman is on our current boat.

While there are pros and cons to both systems, if I had to state a preference it would probably be for the more traditional lazy jacks. The Dutchman system works reasonably well, but in my experience it takes a fair bit of tweaking to make it work as advertised.

Another consideration is that the Dutchmen system requires that the mainsail be modified with a series of holes through which the monofilament flaking lines can pass. This is not a big deal if you are ordering a new mainsail anyway. If you are retrofitting an existing sail, you could maybe do it yourself if you're handy, however it is often best to have a sailmaker familiar with the system make the modifications. Proper placement and alignment of those holes is key to the system working.

Whereas a typical lazyjack system does not require any modifications to the sail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.