SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 21 year old Canadian college graduate currently in Barcelona Spain. I sail every chance i get in the summer back in Canada. I would love to have the opportunity to sail the mediteranean but am having no luck finding a boat to crew on. Im full of energy and can work like a mule on a boat when neccessary. If anyone needs help sailing the sea im the man to talk to. Throw me a line if you have one.

·
美國佬
621 Posts
try a yacht delivery

If you want to get mileage as opposed to gawking at topless women or enjoying the scenery, try a yacht delivery company. I did this two years ago and had a great time. Reliance Yachts usually has a bunch of boats going from southern France to Turkey (and elsewhere) that need crew. You have to sign up (for which there's a fee), but they should give you a travel stipend to get to or from the boat. The only drawback is that since it's a delivery, the skipper will most probably have a minimum speed he wants to maintain (in my case, 5 knots), so you may end up motoring a bit. On my trip, the skipper and I had watch rotations of 3 on, 3 off, as it was just the two of us onboard. It took us 11 days, including a 24-hour stopover on the island of Salina in Italy. You should know how to read a chart and all that other sailing stuff to get hired. When we got to Turkey, I had the chance to crew on a delivery going back across the Med to Mallorca immediately, but had to turn that offer down or risk divorce.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Darcy—

You won't be able to respond to PMs until you have 10 posts. It would help if you gave a short summary/resume of your sailing experience and other related skills that would be useful as a crew member. Can you navigate, stand watch, are you first aid certified? CPR certified? can you cook, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts