SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read quite a few posts here about the importance of flushing an outboard used in saltwater. A few days ago I picked up a set of earmuffs in order to try it out myself but ran into a problem - the earmuffs didn't create a very good seal around the intake. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures but I will try to explain.

The motor is a 1990 Evinrude 9.9hp two-stroke. The intake is in the standard location on the gearbox between the cylindrical housing for the propeller shaft, and then cavitation plate. Unfortunately the plate and the propeller shaft housing are slightly closer together than the diameter of the earmuffs, and so when I turn on the water, it mostly shoots out around the sides of the earmuffs.

I'm wondering how important it is to get a good seal. I didn't start the motor because I wasn't sure. Is this normal? In general, what should I expect to see happen if all goes well?

·
19,484 Posts
I think in general these seals leak a lot... the important thing is to have some water available for your motor's intake.

No harm starting the motor long enough to see if the telltale flows OK - if so carry on; if not rethink things.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
If you have a barrel, or even a big enough bucket, stick the lower unit in that (mounted on a saw horse and of course, make sure the bucket has enough water to cover the intake).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.