SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Reaction score
1.) On the East Coast of USA, ss there a geographic line south where you can keep a boat in the water year round? You know, the Chesapeake gets too cold and the marinas close/seasonal. But where is it warm enough or where are the marinas that keep the boat in water all year. Or, can you keep it in the water all year in the northern chesapeake marinas? Is that bad for the boat? Or do you just winterize the plumbing and keep it in the water?

2.) Do you have any marinas you can recommend that are less expensive than the 'norm' on the upper/northern chesapeake? Say, any in Deltaville VA? How about North Carolina? Any recommendations for reasonable marinas in Oriental?

Reason: I am wanting to buy my next boat this winter - sometime in 1st quarter 2015. But I need somewhere relatively inexpensive to keep it to save costs until I can move aboard in the future, even if it is not close to where i live on the northernmost part of the Chesapeake.

Some say 'wait until ur ready to go and then get the boat' but I want to get it now - i just need to keep it at the most affordable marina i can find between Havre de Grace and Oriental, NC

Any marinas you can recommend?

Thanks!
my boat is on the water all year, as are most of the boats in my marina. it is just south of essex, maryland, on the chesapeake. it's at a maurgale marina. nabbs creek, right off of stony creek. it's a hurricane hole. the bay froze pretty hard last winter but the ice never got closer than a foot from my boat.

it does not have floating docks and it has finger piers. the bathrooms are completely redone. very nice. the owners are nice. there is a bar next door. it's a quiet area. very scenic.

it does have a few drawbacks, of sorts. to get to the bay, you need to go through a drawbridge at stony creek and, there is a narrow channel, deep enough for your keel, through the shallow entrance to stony creek from the bay. as it is a hurricane hole, thus protected from the worst of the weather, you may need to motor out in really light winds.

electricity and water are included in slip fees. water spiggots by the boats are turned off in winter but the spiggot by the office and the bathrooms are year round. for my 27' boat, it averages to 200 a month (216 in season. 189 out of season). she lets me pay monthly. if you pay yearly, it's cheaper.

having my boat there has been a good experience. it's small. not a ton of activity. but, all of the other boaters i have met, there have been nice. the bar next door has bands there on the weekends during the summer so you can get a free show from your boat.

one point i should mention, they have no boat hauling capability, at this time. you will have to sail there. there is a place where you can fill up the gas tank where nabbs creek meets with stony creek.

good luck finding a place.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.