SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently in Melbourne FL, heading north. In light of the current virus situation, we are considering putting our boat in storage, and possibly up for sale. We are looking for the cheapest possible options for storage, and are willing to travel. Does anyone have recommendations anywhere between FL and the Chesapeake? Either a marina you have found, or an area that tends to be a good place to find reasonable storage rates. We know how to use Google, but the initial search is a bit overwhelming. The boat is a 38' monohull. Thanks for any help.

·
Master Mariner
8,227 Posts
Pick a place and the search will be less overwhelming.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Green Cove Springs, there are 3 marinas, talking about the cheap one furthest up the river.

Probably the cheapest you will find. They have tons of storage room so it’s a safe bet they won’t be full, still call ahead. 70 ton lift. Hurricane tie downs available. You can order stuff from westMarine/Harbor Supply and Grainger for next day delivery. Allows DIY and live aboard. There is a machinist real close, a couple of independent welders work in the yard, good. And I believe they let in other independent contractors without much hassle. In short you are in control.

It’s remote, you really need a car. It’s hot. A bunch of geezers sit in the porch and kibitz all day. Staff is about as good/bad as any marina staff, mixed bag.

Many other marinas have the same negatives at twice the price. Management smiles nicer while screwing you. Here you get a toothy grin. The end result is the same.

·
11,796 Posts
Maryland, NJ and NY currently do not allow recreational boating as we have stay in Place Laws.
When it opens back up, Annapolis has the greatest percentage of sailboats in one area south of Newport, RI.

This will be a tough market to sell a boat and get a reasonable price.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
I can't really help zero in on a place with cheap storage. Reading that you might want to sell, makes me think you also want to be in an area where your odds are best, ie lots of sailors. Getting too remote, just to find cheap, may work against you in the end.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid selling anytime soon, at anything better than a notable discount, is going to be difficult.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Kept a boat at Green Cove Springs marina for years - probably your best bet - take all the valuables off boat - I am assuming you are going to haul it - they generally dont have wet slips available - they do have moorings - but they are questionable - I would avoid them - the rates are cheap, the facilities are horrible - i was tempted to use a mask and gloves before entering bathroom - and that was before the virus.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Unless there is some other compelling reason I would suggest staying put where you are at least for the next few weeks. Then if you need to relocate, get as far north as possible and reduce potential hurricane risk.

Risk reduction should be the primary goal both for Covid-19 and the upcoming hurricane season.

Travel involves interacting with new sets of people and possible risk of exposure.

In a few weeks with more testing there may be more predictability. Chester County PA has begun antibody testing which may provide more information on which groups have been exposed without symptoms or only had mild symptoms.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. I never would have found Green Cove Springs. I will certainly check it out. I appreciate the community wisdom and experience here. Stay safe and well everyone.

·
11,796 Posts
Good advice

In order to put people back to work, antibody testing is so very necessary. It remains to be see if they can ramp up 90,000,000 antibody test kits. Then we will need to start segregating people who get the virus. Hopefully by then they will have room for the sick, or we risk a second strong wave. This scourge seems to be super contagious and quick. It’s only been 3-4 weeks since Covid 19 ramped up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Another area farther north that could be considered is the Pamlico Sound area on North Carolina. New Bern, Oriental, Bath etc.
Last time I went through there there were a few mom & Pop yards along the ICW between New Bern and Morehead City. If you're well provisioned and the winds have clocked to the east you can ride the western edge of the Gulf Stream up from Melbourne while the weather is still nice and more predictable.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Check out Duck Creek Marina in New Bern to get an idea of pricing. Their site shows $8.00 a day for over 36'. Maybe someone with direct experience with the yard can chime in.

·
11,796 Posts
Another area farther north that could be considered is the Pamlico Sound area on North Carolina. New Bern, Oriental, Bath etc.
Last time I went through there there were a few mom & Pop yards along the ICW between New Bern and Morehead City. If you're well provisioned and the winds have clocked to the east you can ride the western edge of the Gulf Stream up from Melbourne while the weather is still nice and more predictable.
Bullseye for hurricanes in Aug-Oct

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maryland, NJ and NY currently do not allow recreational boating as we have stay in Place Laws.
When it opens back up, Annapolis has the greatest percentage of sailboats in one area south of Newport, RI.

This will be a tough market to sell a boat and get a reasonable price.
Just to clarify, though, transit through Maryland, or to a home slip in Maryland is allowed. From the MD DNR website updated yesterday:

"Can you travel by boat through Maryland?

While there are no orders limiting travel through Maryland by boat or car at this time, travelers are advised to make trips only for essential purposes. If travelers have been in close contact with others, we urge them to avoid close contact with others in Maryland and self-monitor for symptoms. If any symptoms develop, they should self-quarantine and contact a health care provider."​

Jim

·
Registered
93 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm afraid selling anytime soon, at anything better than a notable discount, is going to be difficult.
My cracked, cloudy, crystal ball also agrees. I think the new "normal" for at least the next year will be that it is a buyers market and that boat selling prices will reflect this. Maybe something to consider if thinking about selling a boat.

Jim

·
Registered
543 Posts
Bullseye for hurricanes in Aug-Oct
Only slightly more prevalence than North East Florida plus intensity of storms is less so I would say it's pretty much a wash unless you have some kind of crystal ball that tells where the storms are going to hit and what there intensity will be. Only thing you can use is historical data and that's pretty questionable these days. Highest winds recorded in Panama City Florida prior to Hurricane Michael were 110 mph. Michael blew that record away. Literally

·
11,796 Posts
Just to clarify, though, transit through Maryland, or to a home slip in Maryland is allowed. From the MD DNR website updated yesterday:

"Can you travel by boat through Maryland?

While there are no orders limiting travel through Maryland by boat or car at this time, travelers are advised to make trips only for essential purposes. If travelers have been in close contact with others, we urge them to avoid close contact with others in Maryland and self-monitor for symptoms. If any symptoms develop, they should self-quarantine and contact a health care provider."​

Jim
Should post everything not just part , it’s not quite as clear as you make it out to be I my opinion. If I were contemplating this I would contact the DNR of MD and not go on the say so of us internet bloggers.

Recreational boating is prohibited until the governor lifts the executive order or until the State of Emergency has ended. However, if an individual is boating to seek food for them or their family, boating is permitted.
So moving a boat to sell it does not constitute to me ESSENTIAL travel. In Gov Hogan’s executive order it defines ESSENTIAL travel. I’m not even sure traveling to points north through the waters constitutes ESSENTIAL travel. I know it’s inconvenient , but that doesn’t make it essential. Chances are by the time you’d get up here this may be lifted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Should post everything not just part , it’s not quite as clear as you make it out to be I my opinion. If I were contemplating this I would contact the DNR of MD and not go on the say so of us internet bloggers.

So moving a boat to sell it does not constitute to me ESSENTIAL travel. In Gov Hogan’s executive order it defines ESSENTIAL travel. I’m not even sure traveling to points north through the waters constitutes ESSENTIAL travel. I know it’s inconvenient , but that doesn’t make it essential. Chances are by the time you’d get up here this may be lifted.
Respectfully, I think the MD DNR Q&A's are pretty clear. I also tried to be very transparent and that is why I linked the DNR update in my earlier post.

From another Q&A, DNR also allows transit to you home slip:

"Can I move my boat or have my boat moved from a marina to my home or my boat slip?

Yes, you can have your boat moved or delivered to your residence or boat slip. While it is not necessary for drivers in Maryland to have documentation about the purpose of travel, having such documentation may help. General recreational boating is not allowed."

Of course, "recreational" boating is not currently allowed. Boats can't be taken out of slip for a sail without an essential reason. Also, means I can't take my trailer sailboat down to the ramp, enjoy a day sail, load up and take it home. For me, its a moot point, as I don't plan of taking my small boat for a sail until the public health crisis is over, regardless or not of an executive order from the Governor.

Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts