SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we are looking at bigger boats and there is an Easterly 36 for sale near us. There seems to be almost no info other than basic specs from Sailboatdata.com on the net. I'm wanting to hear from any owners, or people who have first or second hand accounts of how one of these sails. The construction looks to be of better than average build quality. But without me paying to drop this in the water next spring I've got no way of knowing how they sail other than the PRHF of 153. It seems to have an odd hull shape with a decent v forward, then transitioning to a hard chine mid ships, to a more narrow rounded stern.

So have you been on one? Do they point upwind ok? How was the motion in bigger waves?

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Are you looking at the one at Torrensen? Looks like an odd mix of nice and really basic. Floors look to be raw painted plywood, lots of Formica, interior reminds me of the same vintage Pearson but not quite as nice. That head is a study of ugly 70's laminate! I am not sure about the plumbing, I don't think I have ever seen soldered copper plumbing on a sailboat of that size. Seems the soldered joints would not fair well in a flexing/vibrating environment like a fiberglass sailboat. Nice looking boat, and from the looks it is not an extreme IOR design. If it were me I would make a low-ball offer as there is not much of a market for relatively unknown brands like this. Looks like someone was considering having it towed to California as there was a bid on U-Ship. There is a much better shape one in Florida for 14,500 and NADA (not always accurate) of $8,850 to $9,950. So even though they have lowered there price it is a bit high. The plywood floors would worry me, did it sink? Water damage? Outside wood will need attention, lots of attention. None of this would be a deal killer for me and PHRF of 153 is pretty good for a boat of this vintage.

Just thinking out loud kind of observations, not even sure if that is the boat you are thinking of.

here is a blog you might contact him:

Sailing Easterly

Thank you for giving me something to look at for my lunch break! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Miatapaul,
Thanks for your thoughts I do appreciate them. It is the one at Torrensens. Yea the boat has a whole lot of UGLY to offer that is for sure. The plywood floors were at one point covered with... household carpet! I'm not sure if this was an owner finished version of the boat or if the MFG significantly improved its interior finish in later years. As the other Easterlies I've seen like the one in FL are MUCH better down below. Oh the boat also needs blister repair done too... The engine looked alright, but the boat had the hatch left open last year and filled the bilges with water, so who knows what kind of shape the electrical is down there.

The decks seemed solid. I didn't notice any cracks or dulls sounds from the soundings I did. Yea the head is something special for sure. They did have one good idea, they put raw cedar strips for the upper parts of the walls in the head. It gives it a nice smell and I'm sure it helps fight the typical head odors. Maybe even would help keep mildew down... maybe... the downside is it needs the forward bulkheads. Other downsides are 20 year old sails, main spinnaker and genoa. Although it hasn't had much use even for a Michigan boat so they might be ok for cruising.

If I go for it, I'd either paint or veneer everywhere there is formica I can't stand the stuff. Yea I figured it could possibly be a decent, CHEAP cruising boat, just not sure what to think of the funky hull shape (hard chines). Wondering how it handles wave action and if that bow pounds on waves or not.

·
19,485 Posts
The 30% ballast ratio is on the low side for boats of that era/vintage.. perhaps the hard turn of the bilge was an attempt at some form stability to compensate.

It's an 'OK' looking boat that could be someone's project if it came cheap enough..

The caned cabinetry is a nice touch - if there's no evidence of mold or mildew there its a good sign the boat has been kept relatively dry..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a S&S sigma 36 - much, much better boat IMO in the same price range:
1969 S&S Cheoy Lee Sigma 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Nevermind... the boat is very far away from Muskegon.
WOW :eek:! I love my S&S designs and that one is a Beautiful boat for sure. Eh I'm not opposed to shipping a boat a ways. I'd probably have to figure at least another $5-7k on top of selling price for that I'd suppose... Nice boat but a little cramped down below with that narrow beam, also can't say I like the engine in the way of the floor for the galley. It'd definitely need a repower too, Volvo 2cyl YUCK! I guess I'm being picky, but what lines and pedigree! Hmm nice dreaming I guess...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 30% ballast ratio is on the low side for boats of that era/vintage.. perhaps the hard turn of the bilge was an attempt at some form stability to compensate.

It's an 'OK' looking boat that could be someone's project if it came cheap enough..

The caned cabinetry is a nice touch - if there's no evidence of mold or mildew there its a good sign the boat has been kept relatively dry..
That's what I was thinking on the ballast too, only 4300lbs on a 36... hmm that's also what I was wondering if they were trying to accomplish, and of course how well it worked. The upshot is it gives a tremendous amount of floor space on the interior.

Also the diesel tank sits directly above the ballast for a little extra help at about 280lbs of diesel. The problem I see here is fiberglass and is integral to the keel fin, with no clean outs... Also any leaks in the fuel fittings are going to let any bilge water in.

I'll agree it has decent lines, but with baby blue decks and as you say canned cabinets UGH it's got UGLY coverd in spades. I'm reasonably sure it could be had at a good price with plenty left over for the obvious projects that a boat this price comes with.

It just bothers me not being able to hear from someone that's owned one to know whether they sail ok or if it has some weird tendencies. All I have to go on is a PHRF of 153 which seems decent enough.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Nice boat but a little cramped down below with that narrow beam, also can't say I like the engine in the way of the floor for the galley. It'd definitely need a repower too, Volvo 2cyl YUCK! I guess I'm being picky, but what lines and pedigree! Hmm nice dreaming I guess...
The boat seems a lot more cramped then it really is, given her 15,000 lb displacement. That is because it has very old fashioned (and very seaworthy) berth layout on top of her modest beam. Galley layout seems quite workable, especially while under way. That is a boat you could sail around the world in. Or at least bring it home through St.Lawrence seaway.
I had serious hots for her as well, but I'm about 3 years away from actually being ready to buy a boat like that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
WOW :eek:! I love my S&S designs and that one is a Beautiful boat for sure. Eh I'm not opposed to shipping a boat a ways. I'd probably have to figure at least another $5-7k on top of selling price for that I'd suppose... Nice boat but a little cramped down below with that narrow beam, also can't say I like the engine in the way of the floor for the galley. It'd definitely need a repower too, Volvo 2cyl YUCK! I guess I'm being picky, but what lines and pedigree! Hmm nice dreaming I guess...
I had a 27' trucked from Pickering, Ontario to Halifax for $3500 taxes in, so your estimate is probably close.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well we put in an offer and it was accepted so it looks like I'll get to report back here how she actually sails. I'm kind of nervous to see how it handles waves of different heights. I'm very excited for the 6'6" headroom and the ridiculous amount of storage below! I'll report back when she's in the water.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also as it turns out this tank isn't in the bilge but under the quarter birth to the outside. This is hull #6 of 6 built. I talked to the original owner. He and his father bought the boat at the Annapolis boat show in 1973. It was a semi finished hull. It had the rig up and a floor and the engine mounted but not much else. They bought the boat, had it shipped to Milwaukee where they spent a season putting and interior in it. The were the ones that put in the painted plywood floor.

The plan is to paint all the formica white and put a gloss varnish on the teak trim. I think I'm going to install some stand bamboo for the floors, and definitely work on grinding away the head epoxy floor coating to make it present able.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase. Don't get too bogged down in cosmetics. On older boats it can be and endless job. Just focus on getting it ready to sail and have basic functionality inside, like having a decent head and galley. Spring is upon us! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Krisscross!
But what do you mean older boat?!? This boat is almost brand new compared to my 1961 I just sold! Yea plan is to replace the recirculating style head with a manual head and holding tank. For this year it's refinish the teak in deck, the head, fix stove, and necessary spares. Plenty of work to come though The nice part is we just bought our cruising boat for less than most people spend on a car! I can't wait to make a few repairs and start the upgrades.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts