SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there are a few spots where some bulkhead tabbing has delaminated from the hull. I believe standard practice fix is to grind away all loose material and re-tab. Dusty and messy business.
As an alternative has anyone tried injection epoxy placed in between the separated tab and the hull? There are products made for concrete and perhaps they will work for fiberglass.
If anyone has experience with other less dusty methods I'd be very interested in hearing about them.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Sadly anything that would work will require a clean surface.
Since you have no way to clean the surfaces all you can do is inject some goop and hope.

Once you have done that you have no way to know if it worked or not.

Maybe we can use our creativity to figure out how to control the dust.
Lots of ideas come to mind.

·
19,489 Posts
The Fein multi tool and its knockoffs would cut the tabbing with minimal dust. Using a shopvac running right beside the work would limit the spread of whatever dust was created.

Agree you need to get under the separated area to prep it for any real hope of success (and more importantly, actual strength).

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
One caveat for the shopvac idea - use one of the filter bags, along with a good filter inside the shopvac. Yes, it will cut the suction, but you won't simply propel the dust out the exhaust if you use one of the bags.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
One caveat for the shopvac idea - use one of the filter bags, along with a good filter inside the shopvac. Yes, it will cut the suction, but you won't simply propel the dust out the exhaust if you use one of the bags.
Also an extra long hose helps; you can leave the vac on deck. Home Depot sells some super cheap sump pump hose (I wouldn't use it even at home) that makes great light vac extension. I always use it when sanding as it is much easier to move about.

Wayne 1-1/4 in. Discharge Hose-56171 at The Home Depot

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
I have found that a Dremel with a sanding drum on a flex drive makes it easier to collect the dust and bits with a shop-vac. It keeps the debris stream in a small area and is easy to collect with a vac hose in the other hand. A grinder or drill/sanding disc sprays it everywhere. Especially important when I am working on a customer's boat.:) This is what I use the Dremel for most often. I hang the dremel around my neck on a cord. The only exposed spinning part is the sanding drum.

Here's a link: https://www.google.ca/search?q=drem...ex-Shaft-Attachment%2Fdp%2FB0000302Y8;700;481

1 - 6 of 6 Posts