SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Iroquois MkII
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

An easy question -

I have some bolts that are sticking way too far into the cabin that I want to cut down to just above the nut. What tool do you use for doing that?

Thanks!

·
Flotsam with attitude
29 Posts
if you have the opportunity, I would mark the bolts at the point that they project beyond the nuts, take the bolts out, put them in a vise, and cut them to the correct length using a hacksaw or a disc grinder. File the edges of the threads clean and replace them.
Any other attempt to cut them while they're still in place is likely to result in damaging the nuts, and just making a mess.
It's usually the way that a few extra minutes spent doing it properly will save hours of putting it right and cursing your poor decision to take a shortcut!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Do it in place. A Dremel tool with a cutting wheel will do the trick. Been doing it for years, cutting up to 1/2" s/s bolts. Just yesterday, I cut 4 1/4" bolts down to the fiber-washer nuts.

Besides, if you don't already have one a Dremel tool is very useful for other projects aboard :)

Be sure to wear eye-protection gear.

Bill

·
Seinor Member
276 Posts
Why not try

Acron nuts over your regular nuts? The acorn nuts have a rounded end on them.
Depending on the size of your bolts, you can use a Dremmel tool with a cut- off wheel.
Fair Winds

Dave

·
Iroquois MkII
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to put the headliner back without leaving a lump, so acorn nuts are out of the picture. They're small screws holding down the through-deck mast plug.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Replace the bolts

If the bolts are easily accessible why not remove them (one-by-one) and replace them with shorter ones?

·
Iroquois MkII
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because the stores & chandleries around here are lacking in the particular length I would need, and I want them flush with the nuts so the headliner has minimal bulging.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,414 Posts
I've used my cordless Dremel with cutoff wheel for exactly that. You can put a box around it to catch some of the debris.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Cutting bolts.... A bolt cutter perhaps?

Hi all,

An easy question -

I have some bolts that are sticking way too far into the cabin that I want to cut down to just above the nut. What tool do you use for doing that?

Thanks!
Not trying to be cute, but it will work fine and not through dust. They cut flush on one side.

The threads will be straightened whenever you take the nuts off. No worries. Been there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you go the Dremel route be sure to considder that the bolt will heat up considerably so if it the bolt is in fiberglass, etc. the surrounding suface could melt.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Another vote for the Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel. I've used that combination to cut off all manner of things.

Wear safety glasses, especially if you're using those little rock-hard cutoff wheels. They work well, but they shatter. Took me 3-4 of them one time, to cut whatever I was cutting.

As to the heating: Yes, the material being cut will get pretty hot. I don't know if it'd get hot enough to actually melt or burn fiberglass, but it can definitely get hot enough to give you a bit of a burn if you touch it too soon after cutting.

Warning: Despite the comments of another poster: Bolts cut off this way can be real tricky to get the nuts back on if you take them off.

Jim

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've used a rotozip. I also have a dremel tool. Does anybody know is there is any reason why a dremel tool is better for this than a rotozip?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
use the fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels with the dremel, not the plain ones, which will shatter far too easily.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts