SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at used boats on Craigslist and eBay and I have been surprised at the amounts some people will bid for boats sold by charitable organizations, sight unseen, as is and where is, on eBay. It seems to me that the bidders are bidding more than the boats could possibly be worth.

As an example, this morning, there is a nice-looking 1980 P-30 with a nonworking inboard diesel with 34 bids up to $3,900 in Maryland. It appears the donor painted the boat in April then donated it to eBay in July, presumably because the engine no longer worked. It might be safe to assume that the donor also discovered some defect while painting the topsides, for example, wet balsa core on the deck (otherwise, why would someone paint a boat several months before donating it)?

I understand the donor may get an itemized tax deduction for the lesser of fair market value or gross proceeds of sale and that would benefit the donor in the same percentage as his or her tax bracket. I would assume that the donor might also want to donate the boat to avoid any liability from selling a boat without revealing defects.

Would anyone care to share any experience either in donating a boat to, or buying a boat from, an eBay charitable organization?

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
There was a 70 foot custom ali sailboat sold this way a couple of days ago on ebay by the firm that seems to handle these sales.

I seem to remember that the last bid was in 6 figures with hours to go.

Did I mention the holes, probable cause, severe electroysis, still if you can weld ali it might be a heck of a deal.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I sold my hunter 23 on Ebay for a 1000 more then I bought it for. My Oday 30 I found on craigslist. I've a 100% seller rating that helps allot. I've also sold one of my collector cars on Ebay. I most likely will put my Oday on ebay if I decide to sell it too.
Junk boats are sold everywhere, not just Ebay. It's up to the buyer to inspect the boat. They wouldn't buy a boat unseen from anyone else. And heaven knows there are always enough boats for sale in just about anyone's local area.

·
Registered
149 Posts
[email protected]

I bought my [email protected] on ebay but went and saw it first. Got a good deal with a small amount of clean up and sealing windows and reupholstering water damaged cushions. Buyer beware and I wouldn't buy a charity boat sight unseen. it might cost you more to ship it and get it ready for sailing then it's worth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts