SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone on the left coast, Pacific rim, Hawaii, or Australia? It would be great to see some pictures of the Blood Moon-type eclipe that is about to happen.
The entire eclipse will be visible from the Pacific Ocean, regions immediately bordering it and the northwestern section of North America. Farther east, the later phases of the eclipse occur after moonset. The eclipse will not be visible from Europe, Africa and the Middle East, NASA said.​

Regards,
Brad

By Irene Klotz
(Reuters) - Early risers across much of the world are in for a treat on Wednesday morning - a total lunar eclipse, also known as a "blood moon" due to the coppery, reddish color the moon takes as it passes into Earth's shadow.

The total eclipse is the second of four over a two-year period that began April 15 and concludes on Sept. 28, 2015. The so-called tetrad is unusual because the full eclipses are visible in all or parts of the United States, according to retired NASA astrophysicist Fred Espenak.

Weather permitting, Wednesday's eclipse should be visible to skywatchers in North America, Australia, western South America and parts of East Asia. The eclipse should reach totality just before sunrise, at 6:25 a.m. EDT (1025 GMT).

If cloudy skies are a problem, both NASA.gov and Slooh.com will be hosting live webcasts. NASA's begins at 3 a.m. EDT and Slooh's at 5 a.m. EDT.

An eclipse occurs when the moon passes through Earth's shadow, called the umbra.

As for the reddish hue, Tony Phillips, an astronomer with SpaceWeather.com, says to imagine yourself on the moon: "Overhead hangs Earth, nightside down, completely hiding the sun behind it. The eclipse is under way. You might expect Earth to be utterly dark, but ... the rim of the planet is on fire."

"You're seeing every sunrise and every sunset in the world, all at once," Phillips wrote in an article on NASA's science website.

The light beams into Earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow that colors the moon red, he said.

The entire eclipse will be visible from the Pacific Ocean, regions immediately bordering it and the northwestern section of North America. Farther east, the later phases of the eclipse occur after moonset. The eclipse will not be visible from Europe, Africa and the Middle East, NASA said.

(Reporting by Irene Klotz in Portland, Maine; editing by G Crosse)

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Sydney is not looking good. Overcast and light rain which looks as if it is settling in for the duration. Grrr ....

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Fingers crossed here in flyover land. The eclipse starts at 5:25am Central and "astronomical darkness" lasts till 5:40am so we're right on the edge of where the eclipse will be visible in darkness. (Although I'm pretty much in the middle of the city, so it's not like it ever gets terribly dark here.)

Anyway, I have my alarm set and hope to get some good pictures. I'll post them if I do.

·
Administrator
7,613 Posts
Not a very good picture, I'm afraid. With a four-second exposure, the light pollution from the city, and only a consumer-grade DSLR camera, this is the best I can do.
You like talking yourself down? I thought it was a GREAT photo till I read your screed!

How about editing it to say: "Wow! Heres my GREAT photo that NASA wants to buy!"

In the Caribbean we got a chip out of the moon at 5:30 am and then it slid behind the only cloud in the sky. But is must have been the right chip because NASA bought my photo and won't let me post it!

:)

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Not only did we get to see the eclipse, but about 0540 or so, a meteor passed through
F'ing cool!

I love the night sky.

That's really the only thing I don't like about living in a city, all the light pollution. It's such a treat to see the Milky Way.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a very good picture, I'm afraid. With a four-second exposure, the light pollution from the city, and only a consumer-grade DSLR camera, this is the best I can do.

But it sure was worth getting up early to see it!

Amazing photo!!

Regards,
Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts