SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 31' sailboat and am planning on moving her to the coast in a year or so. I'm currently in southeast TN. I've been trolling through Waterway Guide researching marinas and have also found many that aren't on Waterway. I draw 4.5 feet so I don't need a super deep berth.

As it stands now, it seems to me, the closest and most economical coastal storage is a mooring at the big marina in Beaufort, SC. This is the closest to home for me (about 5 hours) and would be $250 a month. As near as I can tell, a slip there would be about $420 a month. I plan on coming down several times a year for excursions and getting ready for offshore trips in years to come.

Do other people here know about likely mooring fields or economical marinas in this sort of general area? Brunswick, GA to Charleston, I guess you could say.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What you found in Beaufort sounds less expensive than anything I found near Charleston when I was looking a couple of years ago. One other consideration could be taxes. SC and Ga both have personal property taxes on boats and Ga may be cheaper. Not sure, though. Depending on how long you have it in state, you would have to register it and pay taxes on it there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much. The tax issue hasn't occurred to me but I'll look into it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts