SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have heard from a few folks that [EDIT-JRP] has an excellent online oupv course at a reasonable price.

after a quick look I noticed they are the only online school that offers a free demo of what to expect.

·
Every day, Something new
60 Posts
Now Capt RJ - I hate to sound suspicious, but what exactly is your relationship with [EDIT-JRP]

You've only recently joined and all your posts are about on-line OUPV courses, and your own signature includes a link direct to [EDIT-JRP].

Me thinks you work for them/with them? and if so, why would you use phrases such as "I've heard from a few folks" giving the impression of a more distant relationship?

I may be wrong (In which case I profusely apologize) but I think it's only fair you clarify.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
From his first post "We have found the students’ requiring the hands on applies mostly to retired, and the recreational boaters."

He's a ringer...stop the SPAM captain... NO ONE WILL USE YOUR PLACE and the word will spread. That's a sleazy approach.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
So just for fun, I looked at their web site, and took the demo. Based on what I saw in the demo, I wouldn't sign up. The instructions for the course were read by a computer voice synthesizer that was very annoying. I certainly wouldn't want to listen to that for an entire oupv course. The sample study material and quiz questions were pretty lame, but the last one was a classic. It showed a picture of the skyline of a seaside city at dusk and asked what city it was. There was no other information given to provide any clue as to the identity of the city, so either you must have seen the city from the water or you have a 25% chance at the multiple guess.

The whole experience made me want to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I figured I would just click on the contact us button on their front page, and low and behold "Thank you for your interest in Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV) , taught by Capt. Ralph J Person. Please provide your contact details to receive the access information." Coincidence? Probably, right? Say it ain't so RJ! Or... say you are sorry or something. Good catch Girl, Cam, John.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I have heard from a few folks that [EDIT-JRP] has an excellent online oupv course at a reasonable price.

after a quick look I noticed they are the only online school that offers a free demo of what to expect.
CaptRJ,

Are you affiliated in any way with the OUPV school you are recommending?

SailNet forum rules do not allow commercial self-promotion. Please see:

SailNet Hall of Shame

·
Registered
21 Posts
Plus his website, the first page anyway, looks like crap in Firefox. Some text overlays other text, making it illegible. If that's the way the entire site looks (I didn't care enough to investigate further) it would be unusable.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Nicely done guys... :)

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Nice try CaptRJ. No spam here. You might try other sailing websites though. Just enter the URL in Cam's signature above and go to town.

Heh-heh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts