SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends of ours have been cruising the southern Caribbean on a sister ship to ours for the last several years, leaving the boat on the hard in Trini for hurricane season and returning every November for another 6 months. On their last return, our friends announced they were trying a "new" way of dealing with growth on their running gear/folding prop. A coating of Egg Whites. I kind of laughed that off but, evidently, it's something the locals use to good advantage. N'any case, they gave their gear 7 coats with egg whites before re-launching last December. Since then, they have reported virtually no growth on their shaft and prop. Evidently, PropSpeed has a low cost competitor, eh?

FWIW...

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Is there no end to the abilities of eggs? They can also be used to repair cooling system leaks, not to mention they make quite a nice omelette. I certainly won't ever again be leaving port without a dozen.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Some friends of ours have been cruising the southern Caribbean on a sister ship to ours for the last several years, leaving the boat on the hard in Trini for hurricane season and returning every November for another 6 months. On their last return, our friends announced they were trying a "new" way of dealing with growth on their running gear/folding prop. A coating of Egg Whites. I kind of laughed that off but, evidently, it's something the locals use to good advantage. N'any case, they gave their gear 7 coats with egg whites before re-launching last December. Since then, they have reported virtually no growth on their shaft and prop. Evidently, PropSpeed has a low cost competitor, eh?

FWIW...
Have they been under weigh since launching or staying in one place?

I can see a static boat getting protection but under weigh regularly for 6 months I would expect the coating to quickly wear off.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have they been under weigh since launching or staying in one place?

I can see a static boat getting protection but under weigh regularly for 6 months I would expect the coating to quickly wear off.
They have been traveling. Generally from Trini to as far north as Antigua and back during the season. Some of their travels are documented and can be seen/read about on their website at (click on) Ocean Angel

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
When we got our prop done with PropSpeed in Oz, one of the guys doing the job said a common problem is that people get their props too polished so the PS does not adhere well. They use 120 grit paper only. Could be the same as egg white. I may try this for next season, can't hurt.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why is it these miracle cures are always found on somebody's brother's neighbor's cousin's dentist's boat? :rolleyes:
My post was predicated upon a first hand report by a friend with whom we have raced and cruised for upwards of 20 years. Whether it's of any value to those who haul and re-launch annually, I cannot say. If it seems to work for our friends, however, it might work as well for others. In any case, I don't see the process sending too many diver/bottom cleaners to the unemployment lines.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Given how much difficulty I have had removing vandal supplied eggs I thing it worth a look :)

The GOOD zink spray seemed in my case to be worse :)

Plain grease worked well on stationary things like my strut BUT washed off the blades and shaft much to fast

At this point as I dive every two weeks as it warms up I have done fine with a scrub pad on the prop and washcloth on the hull

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
HyLyte-
"leaving the boat on the hard in Trini "

There you go, that tells it all. Your friends have been using the infamous and widely illegal TIN BOTTOM PAINT on everything including their prop, and they just told you "egg whites" because, after all, they wouldn't want you to blab to us all that they were using bottom paints which are illegal just about everywhere--except Trinidad!

I'll give 'em points for originality and thinking fast, though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Could also be a cover story for a test of a new ablative formula cadmium oxide/cobalt 60 bottom paint. I'll bet that would work great for reducing fouling and even provide fertility suppression for the crew. Probably kill everything in all seven seas and leave a glowing radioactive wake but I'll bet it would work.

O'

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,060 Posts
Coincidentally, we just got a few chickens for a daily supply of eggs. We've been sharing them with neighbors for free, but if you want some to coat your prop I can sell you a half dozen for $154.
dang - I just bought a dozen from West Marine for $175!

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I find it interesting how something that doesn't match up with others' pre-conceptions/expectations is so rapidly/easily disregarded.

When I was in the BVI in the late '70's I met a guy that was applying Shark oil on his hull to "control/block growth". "Does that really work?" I asked. "Have you ever seen a Shark with Barnacles?" he answered. Thinking about it, I never had and haven't yet.

FWIW...

·
Registered
778 Posts
but alas, sharks repel barnacles because of the dentine scales they possess, as their oil is contained within their livers, and is largely a buoyancy aid

·
I don't discuss my member
2,636 Posts
In any case, I don't see the process sending too many diver/bottom cleaners to the unemployment lines.
Not worried about that. Just have to chuckle every time (and it has been many, many times) I hear about some homespun concoction that is supposed to to work anti fouling miracles. And to each one I reply, if it actually performed as advertised, the shelves of every West Marine would be stocked with it. But they're not and that has to tell you something.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks for posting svHyLyte.
Given all the negative reactions to sincere contributions to the forum, I just decided to keep my good fortune experiences to myself.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts