SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H i Im wanting to clean up my fuel system with an elc fuel selector like one on a pick up truck ,this having two tanks. I want to get rid of the hodg -podge of the previous owner by installing an elc switch. It must be compaible with a in line and return line for both tanks I found one at a auto parts store but it said not for marine use. Any ideas out there thanks KG

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
You just want a switch that you can press and in doing so it will switch you from one tank to the other? Marine rated, is, in my opinion, over-rated. Anti-corrosion sprays can make it last for years, and then you can replace it, sparking issues can be solved by sealing it in liquid tape. Diesel isn't gas, it doesn't have the same problem with ignition isolation.

I'm assuming you have a diesel truck with two tanks, a switch in the cab that let's you select between them?

I would think you would have to pretty much rip out what you have and replace it, hose and valve wise.

I have a two tank system, after this winter on the hard it will be launched with two completely interchangeable fuel supplies, each independent (two pumps, two primaries, two secondaries, one valve at the input, on at the return. If there is something out there that lets me make that switch of tanks electrically I'd like to see it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, there is a swith all late model trucks have them ,the swith lets you draw out of one tank or the other. What i want to do is incoporate this into my boat system but being diesel it has to have the retun lines coinciding with the tank being used I just want to get rid of the system of turning a supply line and making sure the retun line valve is on acording to the tank being used i have already pumped 20 gal of fuel in my bilge becaule retun was not properly turne to tank being used kg

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Ouch on the 20 gallons in the bilge - are your valves not co-located. Mine are within 10 inches of each other, and visually obvious when out of sync. Perhaps that's all you really need is to re-plumb, or like I said earlier, ignore the marine rated part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i think i can replumb, as the previous owner dosnt even have a system , the valves are not corelated what so eve.r I will figure out by repumbing and have the pointy ends of the handles at least point to the tank being used. There is one below the cockpit and one below the saloon floor , which will be organized for and aft. I just bought this boat last spring and sailed it out of tampa to ft myers over nite off shore. I have no experience with the systems other then trial and error. Thats when i put the fuel in the bilge., as the old owner passed away and family knows very little about it. I have been on the road for last 6 monthe and will be going back home next week im anxious to get to work on her, to use this winter. thanks for the info, chuck. kale

·
Registered
725 Posts
Some diesels have a return line. If you dont switch them also you might run off one tank with your return going to the other and You could overfill it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey time bandit , I had a fuel switch like the one in jc whitney catalog in my hand at the auto parts store. Im sure ill need the 6 ports, but cant quite figure out the ports, 2 for in, 2 for return, and I need one for out, to the engine. Where is 6th ? or maybe Ill just plug it. Im sure im going to install this system as it will clean up my engine compartment considerably and while at it im going to put in a duall primary filter systm for a quick change .thanks kale

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am guessing the other ports are for venting late model truck's fuel tanks smog systems.

hey time bandit , I had a fuel switch like the one in jc whitney catalog in my hand at the auto parts store. Im sure ill need the 6 ports, but cant quite figure out the ports, 2 for in, 2 for return, and I need one for out, to the engine. Where is 6th ? or maybe Ill just plug it. Im sure im going to install this system as it will clean up my engine compartment considerably and while at it im going to put in a duall primary filter systm for a quick change .thanks kale

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time Bandit, No i figured it out, 2 ports for in take from tanks, 2 ports for return to tanks, 1 port to engine supply, and one port retun from engine. Thus 6 ports being used, Im going this route. ill give up date how well it works, kale

·
Registered
928 Posts
That's cool--just follow the directions included.

You might want to figure out what will happen if you lose electrical power.

Time Bandit, No i figured it out, 2 ports for in take from tanks, 2 ports for return to tanks, 1 port to engine supply, and one port retun from engine. Thus 6 ports being used, Im going this route. ill give up date how well it works, kale

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
time bandit, if you lose elec power. you will remain on the ports that the selonoid happened to be on so you stay on the one tank that you were last using. losing elec dosnt shut off the fuel ,but like all good sailors you should and i will have a back up with elec or ill design the system to quick change the intake and return lines to open side off swith ,all ready thought of that. kale

·
Registered
928 Posts
The above switching valve is rated for late model fuel injection pressure of 75 psi from intank pumps.

Just mount your lift pump and filters before the valve.

(I have a two tank system, after this winter on the hard it will be launched with two completely interchangeable fuel supplies, each independent (two pumps, two primaries, two secondaries, one valve at the input, on at the return. If there is something out there that lets me make that switch of tanks electrically I'd like to see it.)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Kale,
This may be what you are trying to get away from but if, as you say, you will be plumbing a 'plan B' for electrical loss you are going to end up with something just as complex any way. If my FilterBoss alarm goes off I simply open a closet, flip 2 levers, and I'm on my way with a clean filter. If I want to switch tanks I simply lift up a stair, flip 2 levers, done. The complexity you see is because I also can polish fuel from tank A to B or B to A using either Filter 1 or 2 and also use a "dirt out" low tank outlet that Nauticat plumbed into the tanks to get the crud on the bottom or the "normal" output of either tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts