SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the past i had some trouble priming my perkins diesel. A friend had an automotive diesel pump that he hooked up to a battery to use when priming his system. i used it once and it worked well. i also saw an article in good old boat about using the same to make a fuel polishing system. I cant find the article any more and would like to get an automotive diesel fuel pump and make my own portable priming pump. I am not sure what pump to buy? does anyone know what model # or what make/model car or trucks pump i should use?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
This is where it is at, my friend. I fitted one to pressurise the fuel system so that if there is a leak fuel will leak out and not air get in. Best money I ever spent. The motor will still run with the engine mounted lift pump as there is a wee by-pass on the electrical pump when it is switched off. I leave the electrical pump on all the time the engine is running. it has lasted for about 15 years now. There is an added fire risk with it, but I trade that off against the starting reliability. Put it on a wee on/off switch, with a fuse, and you will not look back....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s....com%2Fbhp%2Fstewart-warner-fuel-pump;225;225

·
Registered
547 Posts
in the past i had some trouble priming my perkins diesel. A friend had an automotive diesel pump that he hooked up to a battery to use when priming his system. i used it once and it worked well. i also saw an article in good old boat about using the same to make a fuel polishing system. I cant find the article any more and would like to get an automotive diesel fuel pump and make my own portable priming pump. I am not sure what pump to buy? does anyone know what model # or what make/model car or trucks pump i should use?
This one works well:

Amazon.com: Airtex E8153 Electric Fuel Pump: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51SURoWqWAL

Go to the Airtex site and you'll see two diesel rated universal pumps. This one will allow fuel to pass through even when the pump is off, so it's suitable for permanent in-line installation.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store they stock many universal electric fuel pumps that will do the job quite well just wire the pump relay control power to the ignition ckt runs when key is on and doesn't when key is off

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store they stock many universal electric fuel pumps that will do the job quite well just wire the pump relay control power to the ignition ckt runs when key is on and doesn't when key is off
This is what I have. No more bleeding fuel lines after changing filters or running out of diesel. Just turn the switch on, wait five minutes for the pump to bleed all of the lines, and crank it. :D

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
This is what I have. No more bleeding fuel lines after changing filters or running out of diesel. Just turn the switch on, wait five minutes for the pump to bleed all of the lines, and crank it. :D
Good setup, but with one caution...

Most of those 12V pumps have a fine mesh screen inside the inlet port. Since most are installed inline before the primary filter(s), a bit of debris or obstruction of that screen can sometimes fool one into thinking it's time to swap out your Racors, or have some other problem with fuel flow or introduction of air into the line...

No need to ask me how I learned this... :) So, you simply want to install such a pump in a spot that's reasonably accessible, and remember it might be something to check from time to time, or if a problem surfaces...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Good setup, but with one caution...

Most of those 12V pumps have a fine mesh screen inside the inlet port. Since most are installed inline before the primary filter(s), a bit of debris or obstruction of that screen can sometimes fool one into thinking it's time to swap out your Racors, or have some other problem with fuel flow or introduction of air into the line...

No need to ask me how I learned this... :) So, you simply want to install such a pump in a spot that's reasonably accessible, and remember it might be something to check from time to time, or if a problem surfaces...
Good point. Mine is installed about three inches from the Racor, but does get the fuel before it's been filtered.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
If you need to wait 5 min to start you definitely have problems almost all diesel road engines are fed by an electric lift pump now days and waiting 10 seconds is plenty of time to build pressure also a good idea is to install a cheap inline per filter to stop the small sediment from getting to the pump to begin with

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
If you need to wait 5 min to start you definitely have problems almost all diesel road engines are fed by an electric lift pump now days and waiting 10 seconds is plenty of time to build pressure also a good idea is to install a cheap inline per filter to stop the small sediment from getting to the pump to begin with
I don't have to wait five minutes. That's just the arbitrary time I wait. I have no idea exactly when it happens. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.