SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Roadkillibus Texanis
1,602 Posts
Wow . . . that's a fire.

I sure hope there was no foul play involved.

I wonder if it was a gas boat. Looks like it.

I made my living the same way you did in the eighties Bubb. Do you remember when there were a lot of captains who wouldn't hire on to a gas boat for any price? I was on a 31 Bertram once that almost caught fire from the Chrysler 440 marines. I was glad when we moved up to diesel the next boat.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow . . . that's a fire.

I sure hope there was no foul play involved.

I wonder if it was a gas boat. Looks like it.

I made my living the same way you did in the eighties Bubb. Do you remember when there were a lot of captains who wouldn't hire on to a gas boat for any price? I was on a 31 Bertram once that almost caught fire from the Chrysler 440 marines. I was glad when we moved up to diesel the next boat.
Retcit, I don't like gas boats even today!!!! I have moved so many SeaRays, twin gassers. It may just be me. But when I step aboard one, I smell Gas!

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Bubb—

Try Beano... :) it really helps with the Gas problem. :)

As for the boat... Looks like a fairly big powerboat... wonder if the fire was arson or not. Given the current economic climate, arson isn't too big a stretch.

Retcit, I don't like gas boats even today!!!! I have moved so many SeaRays, twin gassers. It may just be me. But when I step aboard one, I smell Gas!

·
Roadkillibus Texanis
1,602 Posts
As for the boat... Looks like a fairly big powerboat... wonder if the fire was arson or not. Given the current economic climate, arson isn't too big a stretch.

Sounds reasonable to me. I'd be willing to lay a little on it.

Bubb,
It's not just you. I've smelled gas on every gas boat I've ever been on. Gas odors on sailboats with Atomics (great engines they are) are common. Our boat is outboard . . . not so bad. Our ski boat has a brand new 340hp PCM and even it gets the slight odor occasionally. I saw a Gas Bertram explode at the full dock in Port Aransas years ago. We were a few slips over and it scared the ever-lovin' S**T out of me. They flew those guy's to the Galveston Burn hospital. :hothead

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Yeah, right... and they've never heard of concrete overshoes there either... :)
Video up date on the boat fire. Why would you guys think this could be arson, wouldn't happen in Jersey.lol
Sidebar Video

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Reminds me of the old one about: two older guys picking sand dollars on the beach in Florida bump into each other. One asks the other whats brings you to Florida. The first guy says I am from Jersey but I owned a garment factory in the heart of New York City. One night there was a fire and I took the insurance money and retired and here I am. The 2sd guy says my story is like that, I was a diary farmer in the Midwest and one night a tornado came along and killed all the cows and knocked the barns down and I took the insurance money and here I am.

The Jersey guy then says "HOW the hell did you start a tornado."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts