SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
dadio917
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started to research electric outboards and thought i would see if anyone here has pointers.

I just got an old Corsair f27. Don't need tons of power. Would want one that would also work as generator so once the sails go up I could recharge.

Ideas?

·
Registered
158 Posts
ePropulsion has the most of my attention right now.

In terms of "working as a generator", I understand what you mean in principle, and that it would be theoretically possible, but I'm pretty sure all the players in the electric outboard market are doing solar recharging.

·
Master Mariner
8,253 Posts
I've only seen electric OBs for dinghies and they are at best a fair weather short distance power system on a dinghy. I can't imagine there's one out there that would be of any use on a 27 footer. Even if you found one, the batteries you'd need to operate it would weigh a lot, unless you had the money for LI.

·
dadio917
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, that's what I'm seeing..dinghy. Too bad...regenerative charging is normal in e-cars. for my purpose, mostly moving a very light boat in and out ramps on a lake and the occasional run for an hour, something like that could work. Maybe full throttle for 1hr. and half throttle for 2hr. The torquedo 8hp would work in theory but in practice is a) waaayyy too expensive ($7k7 with their Li battery) b) no regenerative option.

oh well...back to reality

·
1968 Columbia 50
433 Posts
Elco makes an electric outboard, the 9.9 is $2900, add a couple of batteries, and a portable 160W solar panel, and all the electric doohickies, and you should come under that amount. You can use the battery bank for on board systems as well, assuming not much demand, and you should be fine.

Elco has been making electric marine motors for 100 years or so. I helped install one in an old 1904 44' motor launch we were restoring, with a cruising speed of 7 knots. It was a beautiful thing to be on during sea trials. No pictures...sorry.

https://www.elcomotoryachts.com/product-category/electric-outboards/

·
Registered
158 Posts
I ended up buying a long-shaft remote version of the ePropulsion Spirit 1.0. There's a decent chance that they will come up with a "Spirit Plus" version (25% larger batter) by the end of the season, but a bird in the hand...

Really quiet on the hard. Pairing and trash-can submersion testing looks very promising. Last night was probably our last dip below freezing. I hope to let you know how it goes with a 1500# boat reasonably soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wonder why the electric OBs are so expensive. Mostly the battery?
About 1/3 on the eProp Spirit. Beyond that, it is direct drive, remote-compatible, very quiet, greener, and nearly maintenance free. 4 strokes will eventually go the way of 2 strokes. For now, there is an economic case to be made for gas, which largely hinges on how much power you need and how much the better technology matters to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts