SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Reaction score
I would start the year off with just adding a modest charger. After a season or two you will understand your needs better. Often you get caught up in buying toys for the new baby and much of what you buy the first year because it was "essential" never gets used. Better to do really necessary repairs than to spend on frivolous things. Not saying charging is frivolous but I have seen people spend a lot of money on a solar set up when thy get free electric at the dock just because they liked the sound of cruising . Better to find out what you really need. But some charging is important and you might find a charger somewhere on the boat since you do have shore power.

· Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Reaction score
Batteries should be kept fully charged as often as possible - shore power charger and/or solar depending on circumstances are the best options. If they are left below full charge for long they will sulphate and have a short life.

If your Costco batteries are true deep cycle batteries 5 years is on the low side.
5 years may be a bit on the short side, seems a cheap cost for the savings of being on a mooring. Many areas that could be a savings of a few thousand a year, not to mention the peacefulness of it. I think if it were me on a mooring, I would likely set up at least some solar just to keep them topped up. even a flexible on the cabin top would likely help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.