SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Learning the HARD way...
Reaction score
What you NEED is a good understanding of your boats basic electrical system.

Do you HAVE any of the following?;
  • shore power connector
  • battery charger
  • Echo Charger or ACR
  • Solar Panels
  • wind generator
  • battery monitor
  • accurate diagram of your primary electrical system
there's probably a bunch of stuff that I am forgetting...

It is likely that either battery will only be charged if the battery selector switch is in the correct position for that battery. If this is the case, then you will need to recharge your start battery after starting your engine. You will also need to remember to switch from the start bank to the house bank if you spend a night on the hook. You will also likely shorten the life of one or both of your batteries.

I know of one person with a system like yours that primarily day sails. His boat is kept on a mooring. He simply turns the switch to 1 or 2 depending on whether the day of the month is even or odd. He is happy, does not want to know more, and he plans to replace both batteries every 3 years.

Learning the HARD way...
Reaction score
because she will be kept on a slip, a good battery charger, and a galvanic isolator would be wise investments.

I have an Iota dls30/iq4, which is an OK charger. if you have the coin, Sterling engineering makes some nice units.

For the GI, a ProMariner failsafe unit rated at 30 amps, or whatever is necessary to match your shore power supply would be OK. again, if you have the budget, a Charles isolation transformer would be great, if heavy.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

Learning the HARD way...
Reaction score
I suggest that the GI is more important than the charger. Also, I would not consider a used charger. YMMV

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.