SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Pardon my ignorance on the matter of batteries and such!

I will have a boat with two batteries (house and starter). I will have a dock with shore power.
Question:
Do I NEED anything else? For example, a charger?
If I have no charger, then I assume the batteries will only be charged while the engine is running. Is that sufficient for day-sailing?

Thanks.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the informative responses.

First, my boat is a C&C 27 MKIII. I have a shore power connector, two batteries and of course, the panel for battery 1 and 2. Other than that, no charger, solar/wind or any other source of electricity.

I have sailed other people's boats, but never owned my own. So I will be primarily day-sailing for this first season.

hellosailor, I like option number 3. I am more than happy to put in the work to ensure I have a proper and well maintained electrical system.

Registered
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
AGM are not for everyones use, but they suit our needs, sailing profile and space requirements as they dont have to be upright.

Again sail a year and see what you needs will be, do an electrical "diet" for your boat. Dont undershoot your electrical bank amp hours either.
Sounds like that will be my plan. Use it, monitor the batteries and decide from there.
Why are AGMs not for everyone?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.