SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having bought a used boat a few years ago that has had some electrical upgrades, I would like to find a marine electrician who can first, map out all the electrical lines and second, make recommendations adding solar panels. I am located in Rhode Islands so I would be looking for someone around Narragansett Bay. Please send me or post your recommendations. Thanks

·
Registered
24,820 Posts
Cay Electronics, in Portsmouth.

Mapping can be a laborious process (read:expensive). Depends on the boat and access. If you are contemplating any upgrades, it may make sense to just build it into that work, which they need to do most anyway to get your upgrades functional.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cay Electronics, in Portsmouth.

Mapping can be a laborious process (read:expensive). Depends on the boat and access. If you are contemplating any upgrades, it may make sense to just build it into that work, which they need to do most anyway to get your upgrades functional.
That is a very good point... Have you had experience with Cay Electronics?

·
Registered
Contest 36s
6,879 Posts
Having bought a used boat a few years ago that has had some electrical upgrades, I would like to find a marine electrician who can first, map out all the electrical lines and second, make recommendations adding solar panels. I am located in Rhode Islands so I would be looking for someone around Narragansett Bay. Please send me or post your recommendations. Thanks
tracing out wiring in an old boat might be a lot of work... especially if the wiring is not color coded or labeled. That itself could be very costly.
You might consider re doing wiring and adding new gear,,, fuse blocks, busses, switches, breakers... regulators, shunts, monitors / gauges and lighting (new LED). Not all wiring needs to be changed if it is up to spec.
It's a good winter project ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your suggestions, part of what I would like by the audit is to make sure all electrical is up to code, which I am not capable of doing.
👍

·
Registered
24,820 Posts
That is a very good point... Have you had experience with Cay Electronics?
Yes, more than once. They get very busy, in season, so best to get on their radar soon, if you're interested.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,304 Posts
You could check with SN member ehirlihy to see if he would take it on after he returns to Warwick this Spring.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts