SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am trying to trouble shoot my bow nav lights (1981 Catalina 30). The stern light still works, but not the green and red up front. Today I looked into my anchor locker where the lights are located and found tons of electrical tape, non-marine crimps and wire. So I replaced all the wiring from where it disappeared into the hull back up to the lights. Still no lights. Opened my panel and found an amazing birds nest. Now I should mention that all the lights worked when I bought the boat in June last year. So I tried to check for loose or broken connections behind the panel, but didn't really find anything.

So, to my questions. I eventually want to replace the single panel with 6 breakers with something a bit more modern and roomy. In the meantime, I would like to tidy up the current wiring so that it will accept the new equipment with no problem. My first question is this - Do all the negative wires for each circuit end at the buss bar? Is there also, or could there be, a positive buss bar? One reason the wiring looks so bad is there are three negative wires attached to each lug on the current buss bar. I have purchased a replacement with triple the lugs to help with this problem.

To re-wire the forward running lights would I just tap into the wires that feed the stern light, and use new wire to the forward lights? That is my current plan of action. When I checked for voltage at the lights, I had continuity, but not 12v. I should mention that my steaming light and deck light no longer work also. Is this indicative of a failed ground in the circuit?:confused:

Sorry, but I am learning as I go, so any tips or advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SD, you 'da man! Thanks for the great answer. I will get that book.

Bill

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Faster and SD. I didn't think of that, but yeah, the switch must be good if the stern light is working. Today I DID figure that out using my multimeter. I ended up just pulling a new positive wire from the panel to the lights. Everything works great now. You would not believe the condition of some of my wiring - old, brittle, and missing insulation in places (rodents?). I am going to rewire all the easy stuff one circuit at a time. As far as my spreader and steaming lights, I will see if I can get away with running new wire to the base of the mast. If the wire inside the mast is bad I will have to wait until I can drop it.

Anyway, I feeling pretty good about things right now.:D Thanks for the help.

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.