SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Reaction score
The bench mounted crimper, was it a hammer driven one? If so, they don't make a really good crimp most of the time. The ones that look like bolt cutters do a much better and more consistent job of it.
Not sure if this applies nationwide but at the three WM stores local to me in RI, all have the proper crimping tool as well as swagging tools and allow anyone to use them, with or without supervision. Certainly makes sense to pay the small price to purchase the materials there with this as the benefit.

Given the criticism WM often receives here and elsewhere, particularly in their pricing, they deserve some credit for this unique customer service.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Reaction score
That's very cool. The 12 or so WM stores I've been in only have the Nico Pres crimp tools not electrical.

This is what the heads look like on the electrical lug crimping tools and also the chart that shows how to choose the right dies.
I'm aware of the distinction which is why I said "proper" when referring to crimp tools - I can't speak to the 12 stores you've looked in but it may help others if you mentioned it to those store managers who may not know the difference so that they obtain the correct tools for their customers as have the local managers here.

Frankly, this is a distinction without much of a difference as so many commissioning yards use the wrong crimpers on new or updated boat electronics that a few good crimps doesn't offset.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.