SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hauled for the winter, and my number one priority is to get the depth sounder and the knot meter working again. All the parts appear to be in place, but the PO cut the wiring to the through hulls right where the wiring enters the through hulls. The through hulls appear to be filled with a wax like substance designed to keep water out. Can I dig this stuff out to get at the connections? Is it wise to do so? Can it be replaced?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Assorted

Yes, I'll take some pictures this weekend when I get down there.

The wires are cut off right at the through hulls. If there was anything to work with, I would have done so to make sure that the systems work. I'm trying to find out if there is a way to salvage the system, or am I going to have to buy a new one. Speaking of that, can I get a new transponder to go with the old gauges?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bubb2

I don't believe there is enough nubbins there to solder to. The instruments are Datamarine, probably installed when the boat was built in 1980. I called them, since the instruments are no longer supported, and they offered to help with the wiring if I needed it, but the first question to answer is whether or not the through hulls are salvageable. I'll take pictures this weekend.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, guys

Sailing dog,

I'll give them a call.

Philsboat,

That's a good idea just to test the system.

Barryl,

The boat is completely cored, so I'm afraid inside the hull transducers wouldn't work. Getting a new system with inside the hull ducers was my first thought, but everything I read tells me it wouldn't work with my boat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts