SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Northwest sailors,

I was out in the strait today and went past Minor Island, next to Smith Island in Charlie Cobra country and saw an elephant seal on the beach. This is the first year in 24 years of boating on the sound that I've seen one of these critters and I've seen one twice now at this location. It was close to 10 feet long. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Need to ask,

What is the difference between an "elephant seal" and a "sea lion"?

may have to look up too, they kinda look the same.....

marty

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
I just spent a few minutes googling.

An elephant seal is an earless seal, ie a true seal, where a sea lion is an eared seal and can walk on its flippers. Not sure I really did the 30 sec description correctly or not, but.............from what I could look up quickly, having one or two around here out of S cal or mexico where they breed is a good thing from what I can gather!

marty

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
Great pic Ray, were you able to get as close to it as it looks in the pic? I saw one several years back down by Pt Townsend while sailing, thought it was a huge deadhead until I got up close enough. Crummy weather we're having, eh?

·
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We were about 30 feet off the beach. We thought it was dead at first, because it didn't move. I guess when they get that big, there are not too many things to bother them.

You're right about the weather. We went down to the boat last weekend just to putter around on a few things and commented on the way home that we really want to get back out. With the weather and other stuff it's been almost four weeks since we were out last.

·
19,488 Posts
Need to ask,

What is the difference between an "elephant seal" and a "sea lion"?
....no one's every gonna call an Elephant seal "cute!;) :)

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Wouldn't you just love to come down to your boat and see this chubby horse lounging at the helm of your boat?

The weather has to break, we got possession of the boat yesterday. If its above freezing Saturday we are going for a sail, no holding the admiral back, she has stylin new foulies!

michael

·
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Double,

Is that your boat in your avatar? It's a nice looking boat if it is. Are you going to take it back down to Oregon this summer?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Ray:

Nice shot. Looks like a nice clear day... So.. you head from LaConner through Deception Pass and out to Smith Island for a daysail?

That's an ambitious daysail.

Smith/Minor islands are interesting. I passed them in heavy fog last summer.. Seemed lonely and eerie...

Glad I had my GPS.

David

·
Senior Moment
598 Posts
Hi Ray,

Yes the avatar photo is our Dehler 39 Passarelle, thank you for the compliment. The photo was taken by previous owner when the boat lived back east. We are going to keep the boat at Elliott Bay, no plans to move it to OR, the sailing out of OR just doesn't compete with Puget Sound.

We are smitten with our new baby!
michael

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Double,

Is that your boat in your avatar? It's a nice looking boat if it is.
Eh....I guess Ray is an optimist

I can't tell anything from that tiny little picture. Post some more pictures!

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wouldn't you just love to come down to your boat and see this chubby horse lounging at the helm of your boat?
It was very common in Kodiak for Steller sea lions to try to climb up the trawl ramps of the fishing boats in order to get at the fish scraps that were still hanging in the rolled-up nets. One fellow managed to get up on deck, then fell into the open hold. The only way to get him out was to flood much of the hold until he could swim out, but in the interim, he managed to eat quite a bit of the fish that was still stored down there.

FYI - I would be very careful about actually trying to get close to these animals for a photo opportunity (not that the OP did - just pointing it out). There are very strict rules under the Marine Mammal Protection Act regarding "disturbing" marine mammals and hefty penalties for intentionally doing so. Best to stay far away and watch from a distance, both for the good of the animal and of your wallet :).

Ron

·
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYI - I would be very careful about actually trying to get close to these animals for a photo opportunity (not that the OP did - just pointing it out). There are very strict rules under the Marine Mammal Protection Act regarding "disturbing" marine mammals and hefty penalties for intentionally doing so. Best to stay far away and watch from a distance, both for the good of the animal and of your wallet .

Doh! I didn't even consider that. Thanks for the reminder. Now it's time to change my screen name and start editiing posts. Take my previous distance estimate and add 100 yards or whatever the legal requirement is. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
As far as distance goes, unfortunetly the rules are rather strict, but if you come from behind a rock corner, and one is 20' in front of you, you can get some hefty fines, even tho you did not intentionally attempt to be within the limits. Kind of screwy at times. Not sure that being out on the water, it on shore would be an issue, but then again............

Not sure I would really worry about. Now if you had pics throwing stones or equal...................

·
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As far as distance goes, unfortunetly the rules are rather strict, but if you come from behind a rock corner, and one is 20' in front of you, you can get some hefty fines, even tho you did not intentionally attempt to be within the limits. Kind of screwy at times. Not sure that being out on the water, it on shore would be an issue, but then again............

Not sure I would really worry about. Now if you had pics throwing stones or equal...................
Doh! Is deleting pictures good enough, or should one format their hard drive?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts