SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put 4 of the 100w units on my bimini attached with snaps and velcro...been fine the last 2 years. Boom does shade them underway & bimini doesn't provide perfect angles to the sun but at least my boat looks like a sailboat still.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put all 4 wired in serial fed into a 30 amp MPPT controller. I have no idea why the 200 watt ones cannot be wired in serial, doesn't make sense. I know if I put 2 and 2 in parallel I may at times get more amps coming in but I like the way I did it for various reasons and am satisfied.

I'm pretty sure every year better for cheaper flexible solar panel technology comes out so I felt there was no reason to pay double or more for better quality...I'll just throw my old ones out replacing with current cheapest ones.

btw heres a better price for you on those 200w ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200W-Watt-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
62 Posts
I originally sewed 2" uv resistant velco onto the sunbrella bimini to hold my 4 100w panels...held perfect for 2 years. Human error resulted in a bent panel loosened in a 35 knot blow the other week so I now have added 6 snaps to each panel...pretty bullet proof. In stronger than 40 knots I think I'll remove them anyway along with my bimini lol.

I think 6 snaps alone may be too hard on the sunbrella.

I saw another Island Packet where his flexible were thru bolted at the 6 panel grommets,thru the sunbrella,thru a piece of plastic bread board to distribute the pull and has lasted almost 3 years now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts