SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
The price and light weight(!) of these are very attractive. I am planning my solar set, didn't plan to capitalize on their bendability but I would like to mount 3-400W or them on adjustable pole mounts, stretched in frames. Mounting on a pole is quite different business if you have to support 20kg/44lbs instead of 10kg/22lbs. Adding a lightweight carbon fiber or Aluminum frame wouldn't change that too much...

I am also a weekend/holiday sailor, I'd like something that's easy to remove when the boat begins its (multi) week-long sleep.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I put 4 of the 100w units on my bimini attached with snaps and velcro...been fine the last 2 years. Boom does shade them underway & bimini doesn't provide perfect angles to the sun but at least my boat looks like a sailboat still.
Sounds good!

Did you wire them in serial or as single blocks (individual controllers for each)? Found a weird statement on the 200W panel's page on newegg: "This product can only be used in a single block, not in parallel." - ookay, but what about serial, where MPPT controllers shine?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Banggood sells the 200W units for ~170€/piece on this side of the pond, which is not bad either. :) Among the best $(€)/W value I've seen on the market. I agree, these <1$/W panels can be treated as consumables and I wouldn't want to use 20% efficiency units in 10 years when you'll buy 40-50% efficient units off the shelf anyway.

BTW are these ETFE or PET coated?

I put all 4 wired in serial fed into a 30 amp MPPT controller. I have no idea why the 200 watt ones cannot be wired in serial, doesn't make sense. I know if I put 2 and 2 in parallel I may at times get more amps coming in but I like the way I did it for various reasons and am satisfied.

I'm pretty sure every year better for cheaper flexible solar panel technology comes out so I felt there was no reason to pay double or more for better quality...I'll just throw my old ones out replacing with current cheapest ones.

btw heres a better price for you on those 200w ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200W-Watt-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
The O.P. Price of 250.00 included a controller....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good point, "consumable" panels should be easy & painless to replace.

OTOH, one should be careful with low quality panels, I wouldn't keep them near anything that can catch fire:

Actually my plan is to put them in a lightweight (carbon or aluminum) frame and mount them on an adjustable pole mount - then the above issue would be limited to the panel anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just received an answer from an ebay vendor, series won't be a problem with the 200W panels. Also asked for material, he says PET. Latter means ~1/2 lifetime compared to ETFE, but apparently price is also about half or less.

Budget given it seems I have to choose from the "two extremes": 20-30years lifespan rigid panels (~1$/W) or 4-5years (with care) PET panels. I am leaning towards the rigid ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts