SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need info on your exoerience with your email service ie. Cruiseemail, Sailmail, Marinenet, or any other non-ham service...thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybank,

Have you looked into pocketmail? I use it, although not cruising full time yet. I have used it all over the country and in the VIs. It works great. Only issue is it does not handle attachments. It is a self- contained unit and service. All you need is a phone. A pay phone will do. You call an 800 number and send and receive email. It also can hook up to your computer to move emails back and forth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
what is the pocketmail web site ..sounds like hotmail.com i have e-mailed folks all over the world that use hotmail and its free.all you need is a server and phone line.Do you need a server with pocketmail.. thanks Ed.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
duffyM,

I don''t think it is like hotmail. I think the website is pocketmail.com. It is designed for mobile email user''s. You use a device like an organizer. Mine is a Sharp TM-20. I think there are newer units available now. It has a self contained acoustic coupler (we used these 30 years ago). You dial an 800 number and hold it up to any phone (almost) and send and receive email anywhere you are. Payphones included. The device has a screen and keyboard and is about 3" x 7" closed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
having some trouble finding a sharp TM 20 they are old like me if any one should see one please let me know I would like to buy one

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
duffyM,

I just saw an add in one of the sailing mags. It looked to me that Pocketmail might be selling a new unit themselves. It looks very much like the Sharp unit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
do a search for "pocketmail" pocketmail has service for 149.00 us dollars a year ,you can e-mail from any phone in the world even a pay phone they also have units for sale. now if i can only aford 149.00 on my retirement [ maybe if i can find a job or three while i''m crusing] enjoy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts