SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

I bought a new 31' this summer in Lake St. Clair in Michigan, thinking, wow, what a good deal! the marina its at quoted me a good price for winter storage, They had a cradle, and the location was great. So I surveyed the boat and bought it, happily imagining the sailing I could do on my new bigger boat. Well, the first sail out, the engine threw a rod... Not a big deal, I thought, I had negotiated enough of a discount that I could afford a "new" engine. So, I ordered a "great running take out" from what I was told was a reputable dealer in new york, and I contacted a local engine installer. While it took almost a month for him to fit me in, I was still happy, as the pricing was good, and the mechanic was great and communicative.

Here is where the bull crap starts

After the engine is in, The installer calls me, and says "hey, the engine is running away, and I can't get to fixing it until the winter. Apparently you got screwed over by the shop out east"

"Great," I said, "thanks for your help, I will let you know!" Knowing this, I called the marina owner and let him know I wouldn't be able to move the boat this season again unless I got the running away problem fixed. He recommended a few other people to me, and still imitated that it wouldn't be a big deal, since my slip is right next to their lift. Frustrated as I was with being screw over on a $5k engine, I still had a slight amount of money left for that repair, and I was confident that I could put it off for a few months if it would cost more, since storage wasn't a big deal. I was frustrated that the seller was ignoring my messages and emails, but I could shrug that off!

Fast foreword one month, and the date my boat was to be pulled out is approaching. Excited to get started on my winter maintenance, I Got a surprise phone call from the marina owner.

"hello?"

"Hey, this is XXXXX at XXXXX's marina, We were getting out The cradle we use for your boat and I remembered it was broken and we cant use it, so we can't put up your boat this winter. I was supposed to tell you two months ago but I forgot."

Now, this happened at the time of year that EVERWHERE locally is already filled up, and I can't move it anywhere because there is no working motor. The marina owner recommended a place that is about a 3 hour sail away, but they haven't returned anyone's calls. so here I am, looking at a massive tow bill to a new location, as well as a potentially higher storage cost, and all this has to be figured out while I live 3 hours away with a full time job, as opposed to the hands off situation I had been told...

Looking at my finances, I realized that the 15k I have spent on this boat this year is way more than I can afford. in fact, I couldn't afford the tow and different storage and a cradle even if I could find somewhere to put this boat.

Now I am in the unfortunate position of either waiting for the boat to sink in the ice and giving it up for a loss or figuring out a way to get this boat into more affluent hands that can really take care of it. I am really frustrated and saddened by the cascading series of screwing overs and failures, especially because I am now looking at a total loss of all that money I had saved up for this boat, not even to mention the perfect boat for what I wanted.

does anyone have any advice or ideas that can let me keep this thing? IF not, how can I go about "Dumping" this boat? I am not local to the area its in, and no one seems to be able to actually provide a straight answer about anything....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
exactly. I recognize that this is a VERY niche boat, but I was the perfect Niche for it... I will probably end up giving it away for free if anything. I think the marina Just doesn't want A sailboat there this winter (though there is another there). I asked if I could get my own cradle, or pay to fix theirs, and they wouldn't respond to me. I had an independent mech look at it (actually, several) and they all said they can't get to it for several months... I had a thought of a plan D, and that is pay to ship it to my property in Indiana, and leave it there, but in the end, that cost plus a custom cradle on top of what I have already spent, I cant afford to even do that...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I think is going on with the marina is they are really embarrassed about forgetting to tell me until after they had filled all the storage spots up for the winter, meaning I couldn't fix it myself, but again, getting ahold of them has been difficult all of a sudden. I did offer to get my own set up and they ignored that...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holly crap, I forgot about boat angel! that's a good plan f... There are tow services, however I can't afford them... The hardest part of all this (aside from the fact I can't afford anything more than I negotiated) Is that I live in Indiana, and I work for a church, so from October to Easter I get maybe one day off a week, if that, so the time commitment to do anything more than what I was told of 6 months ago, especially at this time of year, its very difficult. I really appreciate all these ideas, you guys are giving me lots of things to look into before plan "f!"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree, I should have gotten the tow insurance add on, But I had thought that since my boat was already dead, and just going a few slips down, it seemed silly to pay for that for this year. There is a marina about 500 yards away that has a traveler lift that could get it onto a hydro truck to move it somewhere land based. Does anyone have any recommendations of where I can find jack stands and a good boat moving company? My other problem is that I need to dismast it still, since the marina I am in was supposed to take care of that for me... Supposedly I can use a gin pole, but on a 40' mast, I am reticent to do that by myself...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hello! thank you again for all the help! here is where things stand right now...

All the local marinas I can get to with a dingy have already been winterized. I am down, money wise, to two options: The first, and most preferable, is to put a bubbler under the thing and have some friends keep an eye on it. I have some people that have offered to go stand on this marina owners porch and do in person arguing for me.

The second option is boat angel, Which is not preferable, but inside of this boat I got nearly 4K of stuff that came with the boat, and, ignoring the engine, that will still give me break even, but then I lose a boat and the cost of engine stuff...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Exactly, not ideal. I did talk to them on the phone, they actually seem really excited about this boat, even with the problem. I don't think I will need to argue with them to use a bubbler, but I think I will need to convince them to let me use the shore power the whole winter, with the nominal storage fee. When I was sailing professionally in northern lake Michigan we did that with our schooner, and most places were fine as long as we asked first...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This thing is in a 8' canal, and well sheltered from wind. my main danger is from the overall ice buildup... the marina said no to a bubble, sighting "Insurance issues"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I agree. There are several other sailboat owners there, and as far as I can tell, we all got the same call and unhelpfulness...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have no idea... The owner is being less than cooperative, and this is something that is much bigger then where it will go, its such that if I can't pull it out there, I lose my boat completely...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I agree. I have basically told them as much, and they seem to be trying a little harder now to not entirely screw me over. I did find a nice place to put it next year that actually seems to be like a good HONEST place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts