SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my enclosure and am eager to use it...The canvas man strongly warned me not to put it on until Spring. He says it will crack with the cold weather from the northern Chesapeake. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated??:D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Once it's up you would probably be OK but any flexing on clear plastic tends to brake it. Canvas Ice Shacks use the same plastic , it lasts OK as long as you don't bend it --Dale

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
We had our enclosure up for the winter when we lived aboard in NYC. Certainly the vinyl windows get very brittle in the cold and it is very easty to break one - even with careful movements.

If you just want to put it up because it is new and you are excited to see it I would leave it until spring since you would be really angry if you broke a window. If you have a reason for having it up then go for it but be very careful about keeping the panels really straight - best to do it an a sunny, warm day too.

·
Sunsets and Warm Beer....
2,114 Posts
If you've got money to burn, why not! I'm sure he'll appreciate the future work! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the HELPFUL advice :)
As for the smart remarks... A word from the movie Bambi...if you can't say nothin nice don't say nothin at ALL :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It would be nice to know that everything fits properly before paying your canvas guy.

2 problems with doing this once the temp drops below 35°:
- the Eisenglass usually shrinks a little bit making it very difficult to connect the panels.
- It also gets very brittle

Here is what I would do. Find a nice sunny non windy warm day(50°+). Preheat the panels in your car so they are soft when you put it up. Check the fit and photograph any concerns. Carefully take the enclosure down and store for the winter.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
a. You can't fit it in the cold, as others have said. Funny, though. Normally installation is part of the cost.
b. The cold won't hurt it per se. However...
c. At any temperature below about 55F there is some danger of cracking if you bend or roll anything. By 32F it is a near certainty. This is trick for a full encoluse, because you have to move the door, at least, so the vendor is right.

When spring comes you will be tempted by a warm day, that isn't as warm as it seems. Don't fool with it until it hits 60F. I cracked a window on an older enclosure at about 55F, and with my new enclosure I will not roll the windows unless it is above 65, basically not until I need ventilation.

This is why I don't like full enclosures: you need them in the winter but can't USE them in the winter. A parcial enclosure is better, IMHO, and you may want to conside removing parts of yours before cold weather. Sounds backwards, but that's how I see it. I think they make the best sence in cool rainy areas, not so much on the Chesapeake.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
We take all of our canvas off in the winter.

Also try and use the correct cleaner to clean and polish the glass/ It works like rainex when applied frequently. Use the right cloth also or you will get scratches. In addition we cover our windows with a sunbrella shield when not there during the week in season. We have stratglass, but isenglass is the same, it degrades faster than the fabric it is sewn in

IMAR Strataglass Cleaners

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts