SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
West Marine is having a sale, 20% off cordage through Sunday. By coincidence, my mast is down waiting for new halyards.

Strangely, Endura and T-900 cost within a few pennies of each other. Here is how they compare:

Endura:
Size: 8mm
weight: 2.7 lbs/100 foot
tensile: 7,000 pounds

T-900:
Size: 8mm
weight: 3.2 lbs/100 foot
tensile: 7,300 pounds

The Endura is much lighter, and both are comparable in strength. But Endura has much better stretch characteristics (0.3% vs 0.5%). Still, T-900 might be the better choice for jib and main halyards.

Endura is Dyneema, while T-900 is a mix of Dyneema and Technora.

From NE Ropes web site:

Technora, the highest strength aramid fiber, is ideal for low stretch running rigging such as halyards. It does not creep under normal loads, but is subject to fatigue if cycled over a small radius. The black version of Technora has superior resistance to UV degradation.

Dyneema®, ideal for lightweight running rigging, is characterized by its very high strength, low stretch characteristics as well as its ability to repel water. Unfortunately, Dyneema® has a low melting point which makes it susceptible to friction and is also inclined to elongate or creep under sustained loads.
So I am inclined to go with T-900, but I would appreciate any thoughts...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vectran (V-100). Or, Dyneema single braid with appropriate covers for chafe protection. 8mm should be fine, but might slip a bit in the clutch if not bulked up with a cover
V-100 is $2.40 per foot. It would be my first choice but I doubt its worth the price for my boat.

I ended up with 8mm T-900 for jib and main halyards and VPC for the jib sheets (10 mm) and more 8mm for the spin halyard and pole lines.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.