SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During this year's haulout, the propeller shaft, the cutless bearing, shaft packing hose, and the shaft side of the coupling were replaced.

On this board there have been a few comments about access to the space behind the engine. I thought you all might want to see how the mechanic at Sailcraft Services in Oriental, NC managed to install the coupling. He hung from his heels for a half hour or so as he worked.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,412 Posts
Related?

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Looks like one repair bill that may well have been worth paying!

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
I suppose that beats working yourself into an Ericson 32-3 aft lazarette then not being able to get out. :rolleyes:

Would not be bad had I not reached for my cell phone on the cockpit seat and knocked it onto the cockpit floor..:hothead Would have also been better had it not been the dead of winter with no one in the boat yard except me...

Two hours later, a few hoses removed and the radial drive removed ,I managed to get my feet oriented facing the sky and climbed out feet first like Spider dude...

I now bring the cell phone in with me rather than leaving on the cockpit seat "within reach"....

Then there's the Sabre 34 MKI stuffing box repacks that are done blind with one hand....:) I know how that guy feels..:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
I often do work in that area from that position. It works well.

Before I learned that technique, I once dropped a wrench that fell in under the shaft. While trying to retrieve it, I slipped and went in head first and could not get out. It took at least 20 minuets for someone to hear my calls for help and locate me. Now, like Main Sail, I never work in there without a cellphone and/or vhf within reach. I also always keep a pair of those pick up things on the boat to retrieve out of reach items.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll admit that I'm not a big guy (5' 7"), but I have never had to hang upside down to work on our 34. I've spent hours doing various projects in the engine room - shaft packing, hose replacements, drive shaft coupling change, fuel hose reroute, electrical, etc. I found that I can put my feet on the small ledge just aft of the stuffing box, while facing forward and kneel down behind the engine, giving me great access to the stuffing box, shaft and transmission. I know taller 34 owners who do the same thing. After awhile my knees start to complain so I have to stand up every now and then, but hanging upside down seems like much worse torture - I couldn't think straight after having all the blood pool in my brain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts