SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

In some sort of attempt to get my Universal 5424 to some sort of "safe" electrical standard, I have the following:

My Universal 5424 NEVER had fuse one, anywhere in the electrical harnesses. (Verified by looking at the original electrical schematics from Universal). I'm looking at it now, asking myself why not? Was it just the way they did things back in 1980? Electric fuel pump... no fuse; glow plug circuit... no fuse; instrument lights... no fuse; starter circuit... no fuse.

Do any of you who are diesel powered, have these fuses (circuit breakers) or no? I'm thinking I have to have a "main" at least.

Dave

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
My 5424 has an inline fuse for the circuit for the starter solenoid. It is right by the starter motor. The main starter current is protected by Blue Sea Systems fuses at the battery terminal, that I have added. This might be a good solution for you, too.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5191/MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_Block_-_30_to_300A

The only problem is that it needs to handle starter current, so isn't going to protect smaller circuits like the glow plugs, very effectively.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Check the print on the wires very carefully. In 1980 they are likely to have used "fusible link wires" which are wires that are supposed to act like fuses.

The idea is that there's less cost and no fuse holder to bother with, for wires that are unlikely to be overloaded. Like alternator output lead.

Someone figured out that could also be a fire hazard, so they put the fusible link wires in fiberglass cloth sleeves for a while. And apparently the fires didn't care about that, so fusible link wires are now considered simply a fire hazard, no matter what you do with them.

If you clean off the wires, you should see some identification printed on them, and if it says something like FUSIBLE LINK you know what you've got.

The thinking these days is that EVERY wire should be fused, because you never know what will try to overload and start a fire. So if there's really no fusing anywhere, yes, you might want to upgrade that with a fuse or breaker panel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts