SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Puget Sound Pounder
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is ONE thing that I absolutely hate doing is removing various hoses from the engine in order to do various maintenance tasks, flushing, cleaning....etc. Sometimes it is hard to remove and sometimes it is just f%*ing impossible. After removing the clamp the hose will turn but will not even give a hint that is is willing to come off.

Somebody out there must have a trick. What am I missing?

·
Puget Sound Pounder
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Engine hose(s) removal,, help

Well yeah, that would work. But I was hoping to preserve the hose. I really thought about that but at some point I would run out of hose.

Specifically I am flushing out the coolant lines that run to the hot water tank. I will be changing coolant every two years or so.

I usually end up cutting through the hose - along it's length, along the barb.

·
Puget Sound Pounder
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts

Maybe polishing up the metal fittings, and then applying a little Teflon grease or something similar before reinstalling the hoses? That should stop them from sticking, but of course "sticking" is also "sealing".

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts

I use a cotter pin puller to get hoses off. Put the point under the edge of the hose and run it around the barb. As you go around, you can get a little deeper each time until you can kind of get it under quite a bit and push it off the the tool while rotating the hose back and forth while pulling. I put a little grease on the fitting when putting them back on.

Reactions: Rhapsody-NS27

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts

I use the flat edge of aregular screwdriver. Get it in there and twist, working my way around. IT's not a great experience though.

I believe anything that pushes it off, rather than pulls it off is best. Pulling actually decreases the diameter of the hose. Pushing increases it.

Regards,
Brad

·
Puget Sound Pounder
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I found two tools on Amazon that should do the trick. Thanks for all the info! I have them in my Boat wish list if anyone feels generous. :)

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts

The hoses aren't meant to be removed on a regular basis. Have you considered putting a T with a valve in it so that you can easily drain and replace the coolant that way?

·
Registered
434 Posts

I would have to agree with Alex W. A "tee" fitting with a section of hose and a valve is what I use to use on my raw water feed so that I could easily winterize with proper anti freeze. The extended hose will also allow you to work in a open less confined space.
Peter

·
Puget Sound Pounder
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yup, the thought did cross my mind. I will add the to the ever growing project list. I will get the tools regardless.

So would you go with a Groco solution? (well engineered but $$$$)
Any other product recommendations for this type Tee of application?

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts

Sorry, I don't have any advice for the type of T. I assume there is a common well known good implementation.

I personally solved this problem by removing the water heater from my boat. It improved the boat in many nice ways, but I can also understand why not everyone is interested in doing so.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts

I found two tools on Amazon that should do the trick. Thanks for all the info! I have them in my Boat wish list if anyone feels generous. :)

Get the hose hook. I used to be an auto mechanic. Used them all the time to get hoses off. They work great!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts

Actually, when you need to get a good grip on something that's just hard to grip?

Take a plain cotton work glove that fits snugly. Spray it with sprayment or similar spray adhesive, then dust it with fine sand or grit.

Let cure thoroughly. Now you've got a really good way to grip hoses, oil filters, all sorts of stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts