SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any good fire proof material that is easy to work with that I could pad the inside of my engine compartment with? My engine is a 1983 Yanmar 3GMD raw water cooled and runs like a top but is very loud in general. I tried doing a search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I am not sure what you are asking for. You say your engine is loud but you are asking for fire proving? Did you mean to say sound proving? If so look here

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi

I put "Sound Down" around the engine box and bulk head to insulate the sound. Did that 20 years ago and it still works today. The original engine was an Atomic 4 (a lot more quiet) and replaced it with a Volvo 2002 diesel (a lot louder). Sound Down is in Marblehead or Salem Mass. It's lead lined padding with special screws and everything.

Good luck!

Moe
Chris Craft Apache 37 (S&S) sloop

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure what you are asking for. You say your engine is loud but you are asking for fire proving? Did you mean to say sound proving? If so look here
Sorry I titled the thread engine noise reduction but guess I forgot to put that in the wording in the actual thread. as for fire proofing I meant I just want the sound proofing material to be fire proof as well.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Hi Nick,

The PO of my boat put in some nice sound suppression stuff (at least I don't think it came from the factory). The engine in this boat is much quieter than the engine in my last boat.

I'll be around the rest of this week and Sunday too if you want to come over and see / hear the engine.

let me know.

Barry

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

I put "Sound Down" around the engine box and bulk head to insulate the sound. Did that 20 years ago and it still works today. The original engine was an Atomic 4 (a lot more quiet) and replaced it with a Volvo 2002 diesel (a lot louder). Sound Down is in Marblehead or Salem Mass. It's lead lined padding with special screws and everything.

Good luck!

Moe
Chris Craft Apache 37 (S&S) sloop
Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Nick,

The PO of my boat put in some nice sound suppression stuff (at least I don't think it came from the factory). The engine in this boat is much quieter than the engine in my last boat.

I'll be around the rest of this week and Sunday too if you want to come over and see / hear the engine.

let me know.

Barry
Thanks Barry. I'm heading down to the boat Thursday around noon and then heading out to Greenport for the weekend so if your around on thurs maybe we'll catch each other.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Watch the temps.

Make sure you still get good ventilation to the engine compartment after you sound proof. If you reduce air flow and temps in there rise above 130 F while running you could have problems. The thin hot air means the engine wont get enough oxygen in the combustion chamber to run properly. You may need to improve your blower if you do a lot of sound proofing.

I'd mount a thermometer in the engine compartment. I got and indoor outdoor model so I get cabin temp and engine compartment temp.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Sailors Solutions has a nice sound proofing material that comes in one foot square sections with peel and stick backing. You can find it here LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.

It's a bit expensive but works well, at least for me.
That is what I suggested in the very first reply to this thread.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is what I suggested in the very first reply to this thread.

Freesail....You asked that twice about not understand what I am looking for. If you read the thead I responded back to you the first time. Also everyone else understood because the title of thread was "NOISE REDUCTION HELP" and the only thing having to do with fire is that I wanted the material to also be fire proof. Thanks for the suggestion on that material though

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Freesail....You asked that twice about not understand what I am looking for. If you read the thead I responded back to you the first time. Also everyone else understood because the title of thread was "NOISE REDUCTION HELP" and the only thing having to do with fire is that I wanted the material to also be fire proof. Thanks for the suggestion on that material though
Read the dam post and what I said. It wasn't addressed at you, which is why I quoted.

·
Senior Mumble
320 Posts
I used the 2" Sound-Stop material that I got from Defender. I don't know if it's better than Sound-Down, but I liked that it had several layers of dissimilar materials which I figured would do a better job of absorbing sound. The stuff weighs a ton!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take it easy there killer.....You quoted what Dwaynespeer said but then you also wrote the same exact thing you previosly said and I answered....

"I am not sure what you are asking for. You say your engine is loud but you are asking for fire proving? Did you mean to say sound proving? If so look here"

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Take it easy there killer.....You quoted what Dwaynespeer said but then you also wrote the same exact thing you previosly said and I answered....

"I am not sure what you are asking for. You say your engine is loud but you are asking for fire proving? Did you mean to say sound proving? If so look here"
Ahhh twice in a row... what is that saying .... but you missed
"That is what I suggested in the very first reply to this thread."
and the very point of my post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts