SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i made a terrible mistake and drooped some engine oil on the white noskid gelcoat of my deck. It happened at night and i realized this only in the morning when the oil had been washed out and absorbed by the gelcoat. Now i have some back round spots, i am wondering what is the best way to removed them
thanks

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
If you find out tell me please.

I did much the same and have tried washing up liquid, On Off, soap powder, acetone and much scrubbing. I guess it has been reduced by half but it is still an ugly blotch.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would use Dawn dish soap and scrub with a hard plastic bristle brush.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If the surface is porous it will be real hard to get out, you might try flushing with clean oil and blot. You might lift some out. And then wash with Dwan. Also, with time and sun it will weather away in a year. Once you clean it up the best you can you might try you color the spot with white...paint, shoe polish, something white and watered down just to get into the pores, just enough to get in there and tint it.

You could try to pressure washing it.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Try meguires oxidation remover. You will need both a rag and a stuff brush to get into the crevices.
gloreg:1216794 said:
Hi, i made a terrible mistake and drooped some engine oil on the white noskid gelcoat of my deck. It happened at night and i realized this only in the morning when the oil had been washed out and absorbed by the gelcoat. Now i have some back round spots, i am wondering what is the best way to removed them
thanks

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,411 Posts
polishing compound, or simply "compound"

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You might want to try a product named FSR. It is a blue gel that I used on the anti-skid of my older sailboat when she came to me. I had no way of knowing what the cause of many of the stains I wanted to remove were, but it was highly effective at diminishing the "spots."

If you give it a try and it works, please let us know.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Maybe one of the "enzyme" laundry products that actually breaks down oil, or a similar bilge product. Build a little clay dam around it, fill it up, cover it with plastic, let it sit. Scrub, change the fluid, repeat in a day or two and see if it breaks the oil down enough to pull it out.

Masons do something similar to pull stains out of porous stone, they put a poultice of absorbent powder on top, dampen it, let it "pull" the stain out. You might be able to check that out.

·
Sailor
929 Posts
After you try all methods to remove the oil and have lightened the stain, try this: Let the soft scrub sit on the spot for a while to let the bleach work. Maybe soak a rag in bleach and let it sit on the spot.

Good luck!

Tod

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Also try oxalic acid. Bar keepers friend has it as an ingredient.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
599 Posts
Lots of good advice here. It seems that there are are a number of approaches here - start at the top (least damaging) and work down!:

1) Absorbent materials (cloths, powders, baking soda) - Warmth will reduce viscocity and make the process more effective

2) Detergents - which help encapsulate the oil molecules. making it water soluble (e,g, dawn)

3) Bleaches - which lighten the color. This should work great if the oil is dirty (e,g, carbon or other residue).

4) Abrasives - which remove a thin layer of gelcoat

The only thing I have not seen is reference to a solvent. Try acetone.

Good luck!

·
Registered
830 Posts
.....and then ya havva smooth,clean, whiter spot!!!! ;)

Clean as best ya can and live with it :)

But what gives with the spider poop????? worse than oil.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You have sinned! Mentioned spider poop! AAGGHHH! Hate spider & bird poop!

I used to think that if you kept your boat properly waxed that you would not suffer from these maladies. Now i know better. I am overrun with spiders and barn swallows. I can deal with spiders to some degree. I've had to use "Home Defense" as a perimeter on the boat to keep most out as my daughter blows up like a balloon when bitten.
The barn swallows, well, until they let me use the shot gun i'll have to deal with cleaning daily. I have about/roughly 30 birds that live on my boat all day. This is how i know so much about soft-scrub with bleach as i go through a bottle a week. It's the only way i can make the boat sanitary to sit on. Hopefully the marina will address the issue before they get back in the spring.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I found the birds nesting in my neighbors open ended boom.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You must be my neighbor! The plug fell out and my neighbor informed me of the nest.

I have 6 nests under my dock finger alone. It's a hard dock on the land side so there is about 50 nests. If you have ever dealt with barn swallows before you can know how frustrating they can be.
Don't get me wrong; i love them. They are a gorgeous bird. It's just extremely frustrating cleaning mountains of poop off the boat every week (3 hrs). My boats my baby (100k baby, retirement home) and i agonize every week using soft-scrub on her. Most of my neighbors are large powerboats so they don't get it quite as bad. Still bad though.
Hopefully i have convinced the marina to put up netting before there return in the spring.
The other sailors come over to look and laugh at my dilemma. Plus side.... she is really clean every week for about a day or so. No mold, spider poop, nothing

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tilex with Bleach - $6 a bottle.
Scrub with a deck brush and flush with cold water.
Don't over think this!
Sam :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts