SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yanmar engine 125 HP with heavy smoke, burn oil and no power under load, it is unlikely due to

1. Engine problem or
2. Marxprop malfunctioning.

What is your take on this?

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is Perry 59, it has the same prop since new from 2006. I am not sure when it was serviced, but I can find out. The Yanmar engine is a 125 HP diesel. Engine blew the head gasket a few years back by the delivery captain and subsequently repaired.

I spoke to the well established Bay Shore Diesel Marine in Annapolis. The mechanic there wants us to haul the boat out first. His reasoning made sense. But I thought I would do my due diligence in here.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was my original request to test the engine first. Perhaps do the compression test and test the injectors. I agree that tt is far cheaper than haul out the boat. But the mechanic was so confident it was MaxProp problems.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Gentlemen, thanks for your comment. It is important to look at from many different angles even the answer is so obvious. Thank you so much.

I investigate, I listen, I think, and I make the decision.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Someone's gotta ask, sooner or later... Doesn't the actual CAPTAIN on this $1+ million boat have any clue how to proceed with this sort of deal?

:)
I guess sooner or later, I have to answer this question. So may as well NOW.
To be exact, it was $1.8 million in 2006 dollars. :D

Both Captain/Owner of this boat and I share a lot things in common. Both of us are very intelligent and successful in our careers. We were both shaped by hard time and fearless determination. We respect each other integrity and view point. He is a fantastic sailor/racer who understands the science with the real racing & world experience. We had countless hours of discussion while we sailed from Jamaica to Chesapeake Bay. Each of us have earned each other's trust.

Does the Captain know how to process with his boat? I am sure he will, but he also wants to hear from me. Similarly, if Sailnet did not exist, do you think all of us will be at lost because we can't ask sailing questions. We don't have to be an expert in everything. We just need to be an expert in finding the "experts" whom we can learn from. With a good critical thinking skills, one can find the solution in the most objective way.

Without drifting all over the place and let me stated, I appreciate the owner gave me the opportunity to sail on this great boat, learn from him and allow me to sail his boat any time I want without his presence. However, like all the crewing/captaining I have done, I worked very hard to earn my ride. I am old school.

A good captain knows when he sees a good crew. :p

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, that approach might work as long as you have an internet connection, I suppose... :)

For starters, you might consider adding these to the ship's library, in the event you might venture beyond wifi or cellphone range...
I am a grease monkey. I like to take engine apart and put it together just for the fun of it for the last 30 years. When you are off-shore away from cell coverage, there is not much you can do besides taking care of fuel problem or electrical. Anything bigger problem, either you don't have the parts, tools and space to work on.

As for this particular problem with this boat, this is not an emergency. I (We) knew of this problem before we leave the dock in Montego Bay. Besides, she is a sailboat. We encountered fuel problem twice during the leg from Montego Bay to FLL. But it was just an inconvenience rather than problems for us. Just two 10 min delays, fuel problem was resolved, we were back on tract.

I have both books you cited above for years and have read them TOO. It is not very in depth for trouble shooting. It is a beginner book. However, Compton's book is far better than Calder's book. In fact I found International Marine Sail book Series are better than most. I like them so much I bought the whole collection of them. :)

Should "the experts" on Sailnet actually choose to go sailing that day... :)
I am not sure whom the Experts you were referring to. I just don't want to start a war again. I have been blacklisted by the mighty Forum Gods. If something happened, I always got fcccuuked, :D But anyway, if they decide to sail, I am doubtful that they will be away too far from the cell signal. It is way too real.

OTOH, I am no longer a young man, time is running out. I have to be ready in just a few years. Sail, I must. I don't want some people here complaining that I activate my EPRIB when the wind is blowing over 10 knots. LOL.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well, a wise man once posted on my thread. I should have listened to him more. Unfortunately, sometimes I love to fight and kick asses.

rockdawg,
Here are some good rules for listservs:
1. Never defend your posts or yourself (you do not owe an explanation to any one);

2. Never argue on a listserv (you cannot possibly win) and the conformists will gang up on you because any disagreement is an attack on their fragile egos or their sense of "belonging" to the imaginary group;
I guess I will refrain myself this time. hahah. :)

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
what is it with these threads lately when everyone is trying to make the other look like an idiot?

if you have nothing nice to say or even try to help without acting like an encylcopedia just keep it to yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad you noticed that. It is not the first time or this will be the last. The attack became so personal that I must have done something right to challenge his fragile egos. There are two others like that too.

Let me line up more deliveries :D.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I didn't see it mentioned that the Max-Prop might have the wrong pitch setting altogether. I had a cutlass bearing replaced and found something wasn't right. I sailed all season and, coincidentally, I nicked a blade that season. I removed the max-prop in the Fall and found the two internal settings were not even a valid combination, let alone the correct one. It was a miracle it worked at all. Just another in a long list of yard tard stories.

To text a prop's pitch, push the throttle wide open under load and the engine rpm should be exactly at its max rating. If too low, the prop is overpitched and could cause smoking. The only weakness to this test is your tach could be wrong.

Any history as to why the head gasket was blown? That may have had other consequences.

All that said, my money is on the turbo too.
We are questioning this actually. The pitch was last set at Trinidad. The yard did a horrible job while the boat was on hard. Evey thing they touched gone to hell. We will have a diver to check this shortly. However, I dont know what model of MaxProp it has, since the Classic model can't be adjusted without pulling it out.

The head gasket was blown on the delivery leg from Tahiti to S.Cal. It got replaced and installed a new turbo. However, the head was not serviced.

Thank you, Minnewaska for staying on the topic. :)

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I still think a leak-down test is the first thing to do.
Totally, with a long history of complains for a couple years, this is a logical approach regardless what the outcome of Prop inspection and adjustment.

Yeah, King has been contacted and got his reply back. Now we are waiting for MaxProp's response with the model number.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The engine revs beautifully and she started right up and shut down instantly.

I did not notice any woosh or air escaping type sound. But I have to admit, I did not look for it. I will continue to push this issue and get her fixed.

I will share with the board of her progress. Thank you so much.

· Registered
2,528 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
As I promised to keep the "good" folks on Sailnet informed about the fate of the diesel engine problem of the Chicken.

The lack of power and heavy smoke of the engine have been resolved. Bay Shore Motor has it right all along. Shawn told to me the first time we spoke after he looked into the engine, he said: haul the boat out and check the Prop before calling him.....hahaha. But no one believed him.

So the injectors were changed and compression test was done. All were perfect to the spec. At around July 4 week, I took her out, no power and could not reach rpm of 1500 under load. I finally got her hauled out, fix the prop. Put back in water, she can reach 3800 rpm under load. Did a test sail circumnavigate Delmarva, her ran beautifully.

Now the Chicken is on hard to replace the rudder bearings. It turns out the bearing were custom built from Denmark and take 2 months to make. They cost is from $3500 to 4000 a piece. Ouch, I think I would rather buy an ex-chartered Ned-a-teau, and be done. hahah.:p

So there you have it. It was another happy ending. Thank you Chicken, she always keeps me safe at sea and our economy going. :laugher

Next departure: South bound, Nov 2014 :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.