SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Reaction score
Gee whiz, if it's the original setup, and it used to run fine, what kind of Maxprop issues does he think it is? If one of the blades isn't feathering completely I'd expect you'd sure know it via hellacious vibrations when in gear. Maybe send a diver down first for a look see? Unless there's other stuff you've been wanting to do with the boat out of the water...
It's hard to believe the MaxProp blades are not operating synchronously, given the way it is constructed (bulletproof gearing). If there was mechanical interference with the prop, there might be differences among the blades (e.g., bends, tears). I had snagged a cinder block about 10 years ago with my MaxProp and all three blades were dog-eared and torn. Sent it to PYI to have it remanufactured. Even with this damage, I was able to motor to a marina.

IMOH, the black smoke indicates something other than the prop.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Reaction score
Any Max Prop (regardless of model) can have the pitch checked and/or adjusted underwater by a knowledgable diver. Contact PYI for a diver recommendation in your area.

-- PYI Inc. Max-Prop PSS Shaft Seal Seaview Radar Mounts R&D --
We had a casualty with our MaxProp about 10 years ago. Some idiot had placed a cinderblock with a polypropylene line about a boat length off our dock. We didn't see it, as it was not visible from the helm. Anyway, we drove over it and picked up the line, winching the cinderblock into the prop and stalling the motor.

When we got back to the dock, my son--an experienced SCUBA diver--dove on the prop and proceeded to clear the mess and then disassembled the MaxProp. That was before we called PYI for advice: all the blades had been symmetrically torn and dog-eared. Well, they said it was unfortunate that we took it apart underwater and didn't have a diver recommendation for our area. They did, however, mail us a manual that showed us what we were dealing with. We had lost the indices for prop pitch (both forward and reverse) when it was taken apart, but were able to get the settings from the owner of a sister ship and then transfer them to the prop using the information from the manual.

Long story short: My son was able to reassemble the prop with the proper pitch, using an hour and a half of air. Luckily, we were able to get the boat to a marina for haul out without requiring a tow. Due to the symmetry of the damage, there was no excess vibration at low speed. (We do have SeaTow, but were comfortable keeping them for backup in this case.)

The bottom line: PYI knows what they're talking about when they recommend someone knowledgeable for underwater MaxProp work. However, if you are stuck, you can work on the prop with SCUBA gear and a lot of patience, but this is not a job for a novice diver or someone who is not extremely careful with small parts--none of which float!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.